Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wilmington, NC
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

HI,

I just got a used 17 and was wondering if there is a Hobie group/club or a Cat group/club in this area of North Carolina (Wilmington, Wrightsville Beach, Carolina Beach) ??

Thanks

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

CB

We used to have some great regattas at Wrightsville Beach and Carolina Beach years and years ago. Now cats are banned from WB overnight. There are some that launch and sail on the sound side in front of the Blockade Runner. They built a new Marriott at the site where we had the regatta at CB. I live in Ogden and sail about every other weekend, but I travel to all of my regattas. I have not sailed here since I came through in the last Worrell 1000. You can check out the EMSA site to find out about regattas in the area. http://emsa-sailing.org/

David Lennard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:53 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Wrightsville Beach used to be the home of Hobie Fleet 101, but it's been dormant for a long time.

I raced off the beach in 1981. So rough, my crew was puking over the front crossbar.

Good times . . . :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

We go every Friday at 4pm . In the winter 1pm. Its all 16s and 18s. Only singlehanding allowed. 8)We leave are boats in front of the Blockade runner on the South End,which is just around the corner from the Inlet. If you live in the area the ideal situation is to pay for a slip. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Chris

I live in Carolina Beach and have recently had an interest in Hobie Cat sailing. I'd love to sail along to learn and get experience

I'll buy the beer. No really.

It'll be a little while before I can buy my own cat but I'd love to be indoctrinated into the fire and would love to rekindle the D9 Fleet at that.

I have limited sailing experience (Monohull) but am motivated to learn. So, I'll buy the beer if your willing to teach.

I'm 37, a fit dude, married with a 7 year For what it is worth. :oops: :P

(Yeah, I know meeting people online is weird; but I'm desperate until I can get my own)

Post subject: Re: Wilmington, NC
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Are there still any Hobie sailors in the area? I picked up a 70's model 16 in August and currently keep it at Topsail, looking for spots nearer to Wilmington to keep it but also more experienced Hobie sailors to tell me what I still need to work on. Been sailing Lasers and Sunfish for almost a decade, I'm on the cusp of going out in the ocean but not quite there yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
Are there still any Hobie sailors in the area? I picked up a 70's model 16 in August and currently keep it at Topsail, looking for spots nearer to Wilmington to keep it but also more experienced Hobie sailors to tell me what I still need to work on. Been sailing Lasers and Sunfish for almost a decade, I'm on the cusp of going out in the ocean but not quite there yet.

There are actually quite a few. Just not much cat "noobing" going on anywhere. Mostly big boys racing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Genmar Star is your contact guy for Wrightsville beach sailing. There is a group there and a group is developing in N Myrtle as well. There are some guys at Holden as well. Ocean cat sailing is alive and well in the carolinas!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd love to find out more about NMB, just bought and in the process of refurbing my first Cat 16. I've even bought my second Cat 16, parked until I finish the first. :)

russellATsmallfriDOTcom is my email address.

thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry to tell you this but they made me take my boat off the beach this past Sunday. They say its ok to sail during the day but you may not leave the boat out on the beach over night. I have parked my boat on the beach there for 31 years and now they say its an obstruction.
They say they aren't banning sailboats but few will rig a Hobie for just one day of sailing, especially when there is little space to rig.
Several of us are trying to convince the city to use a permit system so they can simply notify if the boat needs to be moved for any reason. Myrtle Beach has a permit system and there are 16 boats at one of the northernmost beach accesses. Hopefully it will be changed by next season.

I will probably put my boat on the beach labor day weekend whether the po-po likes it or not!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mike,
what? after your boat was vandalized, they now tell you to take it off the beach? is that what you get for speaking up?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I know! Whats up with the world! Craziness is all I can say, I don't and will not ever understand this garbage. My boat was the only one out this year off the N Myrtle coast, must have been 50,000 tourists.