Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm out every weekend sailing (mostly Sarasota bay, FL), I went out today to launch at my regular spot at City Island and was suprised to find a traffic jam at the beach. More multi hull daysailers than I have ever seen in one place. Apparently this is an annual event called th Buzzelli Multihull rendezvous (http://wp.buzzellimr.com/) held at the Sarasota Sailing Squadron (I'm not a member but thinking about joining). There had to be 10 or 12 Hobie Waves, at least as many Weta's, at least double that number of Windriders, several H16, H18, and Getaways, and who knows what else, If I had to guess at least a couple hundred boats. When I got home I went to their web site and read a little about the event and it sure looks like something I will for sure participate in next year. It's apparently a 3 day annual event, and looked to me a very fun time by all. I was the only TI out on the water today (not in the event just trying to avoid everyone quite a traffic jam at the launch). It would be awesome if we could get some TI's represented at next years event ( if they wanted us), Have no idea how they would class us. Sure looks like fun though.
Bob

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Im a SSS member. but the main cats that sail out of there are stilettos and F18s and a weta dealer is there. http://sarasotasailingsquadron.org/

1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
2008 Laser Radial/4.7 #190471
S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The IWCA Wave North American Championship is going on there, thus all the Waves. It was supposed to be in Indianapolis about a month ago, but for reasons I don't fully understand, it was moved to be a part of that event.

Wish I could have been there! :cry:

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My brother and I went up there yesterday morning to see some old friends from Division 10 and push the Charlotte Harbor Regatta.

We were standing there watching Randy Smyth finish rigging "Sissors". A young fella of about 13 was explaining to his father the theory and principles of such a craft. I hope he continues his enthusiasm.

I said to them that you are watching a 2 time Olympic Silver Medalist in the Tornado Catamaran.

As we left father and son were having one of those special moments of conversation.

Another great day just messin' about with boats.

http://www.charlotteharborregatta.com/wordpress/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Was there on Sunday. Had a lot of fun watching. Smaller boats were on the south course. Bigger ones were north of New Pass. I'd say 200 boats was a stretch. Probably more than 100 though. Not all competing but great atmosphere.

Officially a Stiletto event but all multi's invited. Lots of Nacras, Wetas, & Windriders(they had some factory reps there). Not enough Hobies. Have to brush up on my racing so next year I can help represent.

I heard Rick White was there on Saturday. Would've loved to have him sign my copy of his book.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

i was sailing on a weta sail # 258 i think

S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

optikid :
You probably saw me on my yellow Tandem Island that day, I came in at about the same time as all the WETA's on Saturday. That was me just off shore with my anchor down and my big Gennaker flopping in the wind. It was pretty windy that day if I remember (about 20 mph) and as I was coming in I went to furl the big gennaker and the furler line caught on something and broke. It took me about 20 minutes to make repairs on the water (sitting on the bowsprit). The darn sail almost beat me to death ( LOL). I still have several nasty bruises from it. There were a couple boaters came up and asked if I needed help, but not much anyone could do unil I got the sail in. It was my first time out with the new furler design, and I learned by hard knocks literally. I was out again this Saturday and the new furler system worked great, I was able to keep up with all the big boys with their spins, hitting 10 knots plus a couple times down wind. There were lots of racers out this weekend, I hope I didn't get in their way too much.
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

i was only there on sun day. i thought it was the week before and i was at the SSS and the weta dealer found me and got sailing on a weta who needed a crew.

S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P