Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sailing under spinnaker
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Had the 18 out this past week with spin on. Felt great in 15-20kt breeze. However, wasn't able to play with it much as keeping both hulls near the water was a handfull. Couple of questions, when hoisting the spin how do you determine how close to the bail its raised based on where you want to go. My thoughts are broad reach or higher in the wind, sail should be as high as it will go or at the bail. Broad reach or lower in the wind it should be below the bail and dropped as you go deeper. Does the height need to be trimmed as you move? The 18 under spin feels very different from the Fox or I-20 I've been on in the past. I will be back at the coast this weekend and hope to get some light wind days to play with it. Also I am always at the helm so I can't really feel the sail or see it much. Maybe a spin boat crew member can best help me with this. Secondly, do you hoist standing or seated for the fastest set. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You guys were no help with this! Back on the water last week. Had the wife drive so I could play with the chute. Thanks to Dan Delave for direct input. Fell downwind, hoisted, brought into the wind until the hull was free, held it there as it created apparent wind, fell back off as speed increased and increased and increased. AWESOME!!!!! Working on the new mast now, hopefully ready by the Ya Gotta Regatta in Myrtle Beach, SC. The square top and 1.5' more mast should make the boat scary fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Are you using an all metal mast with your spin or are you using a comptip. If it is a comptip is it the SX or standard mast?

I am wanting to add a spi and/or a hooter to my H18 this winter. I have been advised to not use a comptip mast with a spin.

How much did the square top set you back (if you don't mind my asking)?

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject: Try Chip
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Try Chip for sqauretop. He has some real good price and his customer service is great.

http://www.whirlwindsails.com/

Doug

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm a newbie w/the spinnaker on my H-18SX w/comtip. What's wrong w/using a spi on the comtip?

Post subject: Snap your mast
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you are not REAL careful it can snap your mast. :shock: :cry: Always cleat the main good, BEFORE you pop the spin if you get one. :wink:

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The issue with the comptip and the spin is the tang that needs to be attached to the mast. If not rivited on properly it can rip out of the fiberglass.

And as Doug said, use the main sheet as a backstay to keep the mast from breaking.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Running it on a 28' solid stick currently. Moving to a 29'6" SX stick with 8 rivet spin tang in comptip. I'm not concerned about breaking it, more flex concerns than anything. Picked up a used Tiger main for $500. Used one season and one repair from human impact. Repaired by Morelli Melvin in Ca. Seemed like a fair price for battons and all. Smoke in color to go with the black, white and grey spin. Even removed the Tiger lettering and changed to read Hobie 18. Must keep the main sheeted tight when flying a chute or the mast will pay the price. Its so cool to fly a hull down the beach when the other boats can hardly move, light air + spin = fun. The SX came equipped with a spin and used a comptip, the miracle also has a spin option using a comptip. The tang point is not more than 1.5' above the comptip connection, maybe 2' max so strength should be there. Hobie knows their stuff and wouldn't recommend if it wasn't strong enough.