Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Hobie 16 hull cradles
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As a follow-up to my previous posts about PVC hull cradles...

This weekend I put together some hull cradles for the front of my trailer. I have had all of the materials for a couple years. Thank you to Mark Poole for giving me the ideas to finally put this project together.

I was concerned about using the fully-formed cradles against the hulls because of other's issues with blistering of the gelcoat. The carpet is marine carpet so I'm hoping that it dries quickly and doesn't retain moisture. I also plan to cut some sheets of plastic from milk jugs to slide underneath the hulls to keep the moisture away during storage.

Post subject: Re: Cool trailer mods
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product ... rchID=4006

These would work. Heat with heat gun and form. Pre-drill your cradles and use stainless screws. Believe they come with the sliders.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Man, I wish I still had my H16 trailer to show. I put a 12" Dia sail tube on a modified handtruck allowing me to remove it from the trailer and cart it down to the beach to keep by the boat. I would cable lock it to the boat for overnight security. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

PurdueZach wrote:
As a follow-up to my previous posts about PVC hull cradles...

I really like those, i wouldn't mind being able to spend less time with a magic erasor getting rid of black marks on my hulls from the rollers. let us know how those work out for you down the road.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

PurdueZach wrote:
Installed the new tires over easter weekend. They are very nice. Now all I need to do before I head south is to check the hubs and bearings.

Fenders were too low so I made some quick brackets to raise them. Now the fenders are kind of small for the bigger tires but I'll make do.

Quick question on your trailer tires - now that you've had them for a year, did you see any significant benefit with the 12" wheels? I have 8's on my trailer that need to be replaced. Am vacillating whether to replace with like or go through the additional expense and hassle of raising the fenders, etc for 12's.

cramsailing.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rehmbo wrote:
PurdueZach wrote:
Installed the new tires over easter weekend. They are very nice. Now all I need to do before I head south is to check the hubs and bearings.

Fenders were too low so I made some quick brackets to raise them. Now the fenders are kind of small for the bigger tires but I'll make do.

Quick question on your trailer tires - now that you've had them for a year, did you see any significant benefit with the 12" wheels? I have 8's on my trailer that need to be replaced. Am vacillating whether to replace with like or go through the additional expense and hassle of raising the fenders, etc for 12's.

Jeff, I would say that if you need new tires to go ahead and get 12". I can tell that the wheels roll over bumps better and I'm sure they are keeping my hubs cooler.

I bought them because I knew I would be driving back and forth to Florida (1000+ miles). Etrailer had such a good deal on the 12s that I went ahead and did it.

As for fenders, all I did was cut some flat steel bar and reattach the fender hardware with the bar in between. The fenders are a little small now so I'm not sure how much good they are really doing...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rehmbo wrote:
PurdueZach wrote:

The other consideration is the spare tire. If you go to 12" you will have to buy 3 new tires. If you stay at 8" you can use an old one as a spare.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm also doing the 12" conversion with similar wheels (Backyard Boats had some nice galvanized 12-4.80 wheels to replace my 8-4.80s). I fitted one up yesterday and I can see there is a difference in the mounting: the 8" rim bolts flat to the hub (which has a flat face) while the 12" rim is not flat on the bolting face: it stands off slightly as if it were supposed to mount to a hub with a raised ring on it. Looking at your pictures I think your wheels have the same shape.

If I simply torque the lug bolts down, the raised area will be crushed down to meet the hub. Did you run into this problem? Seems like there should be a ring of some sort to fill that space.

Also the center hole is slightly larger than the hub spindle, but that's not a big deal.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

AntonLargiader wrote:
I'm also doing the 12" conversion with similar wheels (Backyard Boats had some nice galvanized 12-4.80 wheels to replace my 8-4.80s). I fitted one up yesterday and I can see there is a difference in the mounting: the 8" rim bolts flat to the hub (which has a flat face) while the 12" rim is not flat on the bolting face: it stands off slightly as if it were supposed to mount to a hub with a raised ring on it. Looking at your pictures I think your wheels have the same shape.

If I simply torque the lug bolts down, the raised area will be crushed down to meet the hub. Did you run into this problem? Seems like there should be a ring of some sort to fill that space.

Also the center hole is slightly larger than the hub spindle, but that's not a big deal.

Hmmmm I didn't have this issue. The wheels fitted the same. I wonder if its a different type of wheel?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I ended up getting 12's for mine as well. Fit perfectly as far as I could see. Took the boat down to CSYC in prep for next week's regatta. Nice and smooth on the highway - even at 75+ MPH.

cramsailing.com

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My hub (and old wheels) have a 2.5" center spindle and hole. The new wheels have a 2.75" hole. Here are the faces of the rims, where you can see the old wheel has a flat bolt-up and the new wheel (picture is taken from the hub side) is recessed. If anyone can comment on how their 12" wheels look, or post a detailed picture, I'd be grateful. Maybe these just bolt on normally; I didn't see any hubs online that were anything other than flat.

Image Image

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Look just like my 12" wheels...run em. (not my fault if your wheels fall off!) :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Please find pictures of sail and boom trailer storage tube and hastily made fiberglass end caps.
The wife was not too happy in the use of her frying pan ;-)
The tubes are 1 foot internal diameter and 10 feet long. I have two of them mounted to the trailer (don't have picture of this at this time)

The end caps are currently unpainted so intend to get to this shortly.

Hobie 16 1996 (my latest)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

PurdueZach, or anyone else... I was just wondering what your reasoning is for only going with the two hull cradles at the front of the trailer? I am new to trailering the Hobie 16 and have a 3700 km move coming up in a few months. I figured for such a long distance 4 cradles might be the best choice in my situation?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

JePense wrote:
PurdueZach, or anyone else... I was just wondering what your reasoning is for only going with the two hull cradles at the front of the trailer? I am new to trailering the Hobie 16 and have a 3700 km move coming up in a few months. I figured for such a long distance 4 cradles might be the best choice in my situation?

It's kind of overkill

For boats with asymmetric hulls (H16), hull support isn't such a big issue. Hobie 16s have been around for decades without any issues from rollers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next