Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: solo with or w/o a jib?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Any advice for handling the jib while sailing a cat (solo), anything, from basic technique to rigging tricks, light to heavier winds? Thanks.

Last edited by jimac on Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Unless the wind is over 20mph I use the jib.

I set the jib right after my tack and forget it till the next tack. If the jib is really flapping on my course I will adjust it as needed. I try to leave the jib sheet close to me but it rarely is, so if I have to reach for it, Ill sheet the main out a bit, grab the line, set it, and sheet in the main again.

Mostly you just set it and forget it till the next tack.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks jmecky, I greatly appreciate your experience as I try to gather my own. Glad to hear that it can be that simple. I do tend to over-complicate things.

I'm just getting started with my first boat, an H16. I'd taken a dingy sailing class years back and have been ecxitedly reading up on cat-sailing, but I haven't yet found much covering the solo aspects other than basic safety, stepping the mast, and righting the boat.

I'll continue searching this forum. Thanks to anyone who might suggest other sources. I'd also be glad to crew or sail with others in the Toms River, NJ area . "Taking it out of my head and onto the water".

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

While solo sailing and doing a tack, one thing nice about letting your jib backwind a little longer than normal is that the boat is sort of in a lull at this time and it gives you some time to rearrange things on your tramp (lines, travelers, drinks, etc.) before you take off.

After you have everything else set, in a good wind, once you stop backwinding the jib and let it blow across and start sheeting it in, be prepared to take off like a rocket.

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

jmecky wrote:
Unless the wind is over 20mph I use the jib.

I set the jib right after my tack and forget it till the next tack. If the jib is really flapping on my course I will adjust it as needed. I try to leave the jib sheet close to me but it rarely is, so if I have to reach for it, Ill sheet the main out a bit, grab the line, set it, and sheet in the main again.

Mostly you just set it and forget it till the next tack.

I do pretty the same thing. I have Hobie 18 furler rigged on my Prindle 18 if I need to I can furl it but usually just set right after tack and go with only minor adjustments.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In a good wind, I will usually travel my jib all the way out on a reach. Then I will adjust the jib sheet based on the tell tales and whether my main sail is overpowered and luffing. When the main sail is luffing too much and if sheeting in the main causes the boat to feel overpowered, I will sheet out the jib some and try sheeting in the main again. It is a balancing act between the jib and main so both are full and working.

When sailing up wind I usually set my jib travelers about halfway out and keep my jib sheets tight. If the boat still feels overpowered, I usually move the jib traveler further out instead of sheeting out the jib some. To move the jib traveler car further out involves releasing the tension on the jib sheet before I can pull the traveler car further out and then sheeting in the jib. When sailing solo, all this is usually done with one hand only since your other hand is on the tiller.

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

many thanks guys, makes alot more sense now, sure helps to at least have an idea in mind.

Cheers...