Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just returned from a long motorcycle ride to Key West and back to north Alabama, I stayed at St. Joe state park in Florida on the way down and back as well. Nice park.

I was thinking it would be a good place to take my 18 down to sail next spring for a week or two. A large "back bay" and looks like good facilities and beach to sail from. I could afford to stay there, and maybe it wouldn't be so crowded for a novice and less intimidating not having to mix it up with many swimmers and people on the beach. It would be next spring sometime, as I have not made an effort to repair the cracked front crossbar yet.

The narrow lake I sail at is a challenge with unpredictable winds and no long tacks to get a chance to think about trim much before the next tack. I'm looking forward to a chance to tack for a mile or more.

Has anyone sailed from there?

What would be the earliest month next year that would good to sail there?

I did see one Hobie out there with about six dolphins in hot pursuit a week ago, pretty cool.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I found this doing a search, and will be taking my h16 down in July this year. I have sailed here in the past, but always on the gulf side of the Cape. The surf is always very rough when I have launched my boat from the beach. I was thinking of using the boat landing at Eagle Harbor in the state park. Does anyone know if this is beachcat friendly? Does anyone want to divulge secret scalloping locations?
Thanks