Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey all. i know this is a very popular question and i know people will be wondering why am i posting this then but want as many opinions as possible. i am new to hobie sailing actually have never sailed one but it looks like tons of fun and i want to buy one i am 15 6'2" 205 pounds on a good day and am new to sailing self taught on a sunfish but want to get more into sailing. i am looking at the hobie 14 and 16 and want to spend about 500-700 on a decent one. i found a 14 on craigslist with sails, trailer, beach wheels, good condition ready to sail for for $550. i have noticed the 16 to be more expensive and more desirable. i will be sailing in the bay and possibly with one friend at a time occasionally a total of about 400 pounds but not all the time. i love going fast but want a boat that is not to hard to handle solo but is always a blast to use. what do you recommend i do. and I'm not afraid to get wet.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

i think a 16 would be a MUCH better boat and if you do find a GREAT deal on a 14 you would need it to be a turbo.

1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
2008 Laser Radial/4.7 #190471
S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A 16 sounds like it will be a good fit for you, but try to scrape up more money to buy one that is over $1000 for safety reasons. A $500 boat would make a better parts boat.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

H16 bro!

H14 is made for one guy at about 150lbs

There are so many 16's out there, you might have to drive a bit but it should be pretty easy to find a "ready to sail" H16 for about 750 and up (occasionally you'll find some really good deals), you want to make improvements and upgrades as you go but that is a given in your price range and you'll still be able to sail while you do so. Bargain and always say "cash" after your offer. craigslist and searchtempest dot com.

BUT

Take some time to look up, what to look for when buying a used hobie, there are probably hundreds of threads on here about that, soft spots are a big one, there is a big list. Most of them are repairable and some take hours and some take minutes, if you are looking for "sail ready" then avoid soft spots, the other threads will say a lot more than i can short hand.

About where are you located? If you share that info then someone could let you know if they see something near you in your price range.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Definitley an H16. When I started sailing I was your size (ok maybe a little heavier). I learned to sail on the H16 so do not worry about that. The H16 will easily carry over 500lbs of people. I will not be very fast, but it will still sail well.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO