Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

+3

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'll bite :)
bet it has been covered many times and is a matter of personal preference... What's the most popular vintage sail... Which would folks most want to see returned?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tequila Sunrise, Cat Fever, Carumba and Keoke...best ever.

Last edited by hobiesrock on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

any sail made by hobie Europe look better then most usa sails but for vintage sails i like spirt of 76 formula 1 and a couple other ones.
http://2010.archive.hobiecat.com/suppor ... istory.pdf

i like cat fever two but its not modern looking like the ones in europe http://www.hobie-cat.net/hobie-cat/imag ... lcolor.pdf

1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
2008 Laser Radial/4.7 #190471
S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Orange Crusher is my all time favorite and last year I found a set for myself. :D

I already have two sets of Tequila Sunrise and a set of Cat Fever :) for my two 16's.

My '89 21SE was a Stars and Stripes. Those laminated sails fell apart after a few seasons and I had new Dacron sails made, white with red corners.

Someday, I will have new Stars and Stripes sails made for my 21SE to keep that original look alive............... :wink:

The old "vintage" sails have a lot of character and memories woven in their fabric.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The 70's-80's have the nicest look to me.... basic, yet fun looking. I bet a lot of cat sailors would buy them over going to a 3rd party sail maker.... there's tons of older Hobies out there with old sails blown out. Most new sails i've seen are plain white or plain boring looking. When you see a boat several hundred yards away out in the water you should be able to think Hobie cat! My $0.02

Tim

Memphis, TN fleet 134

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

my 88 came with the Sunburst Sails, But they are worn out, Picked up a set of the 92 Nationals Sails. My Favorite is the Sunburst, Pink Rocker, Mai Tai. Just about any of the Prism types.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie has addressed this issue before. You could have a custom sail pattern built however you want, which includes any of the prior patterns. You just have to select colors from Hobie's available pallet. Hobie has to purchase sail material in bulk, so I guess the pallet is somewhat limited these days. It's simply not financially practical for them to offer a huge selection of color options.

My personal opinion is that today's sail colors for the most part are just as good as the sails of yester-year. In some cases much better. I mean orange and brown sails, really? Yuck.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

srm wrote:
Hobie has addressed this issue before. You could have a custom sail pattern built however you want, which includes any of the prior patterns. You just have to select colors from Hobie's available pallet. Hobie has to purchase sail material in bulk, so I guess the pallet is somewhat limited these days. It's simply not financially practical for them to offer a huge selection of color options.

My personal opinion is that today's sail colors for the most part are just as good as the sails of yester-year. In some cases much better. I mean orange and brown sails, really? Yuck.

sm

I dont think anybody is asking to bring back and have 6-8 different designs available at any given time. Just bring back one or two and run them for maybe 2 years then move on.
How much extra is custom sails?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was just reiterating what has already been posted by the Hobie guys in prior, similar threads. They will make you whatever sail pattern you want as long as the colors are available and you're willing to pay the extra money. So there's really no need for them to do a "vintage" run, you just call your dealer, find out what colors are currently available, and go from there.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I personally like Boomer (81 Nationals). However, I thing the vintage colors are over rated. I have a set of Carumba for my Hobie 18 that are in good shape for their age, but when I replaced my sails a few years back I got a custom set make in the Smoke pattern (red, white and gray). Not a normal 18 sail pattern. I like the Smoke color pattern on the H16's and I paid the premium to get it for my H18.

I think the late70’s early 80’s sail colors were great for their time and seem popular because of the number of boats build/sold in those years. But if you’re still sailing a 30 year old sail, it’s not because you like the colors. And your more likely to buy after market sails or used sails on ebay than pay the premium for custom vintage sails.

I’d guess that the majority of new Hobie sails are purchased my racers. The serious racer, that replaces sails every few years, doesn’t pay the extra price for colored sails (yet alone the premium for custom sail colors). Besides, at the start line if all the sails are white, it’s hard to identify the boat in the middle of the pack who’s over early. The unique colored sails are easy to pick out by the race committee. The casual Hobie sailor just doesn’t replace sails often enough to make vintage colors sets practical.

I do like the Euro sail colors and patterns, but I think that’s just because their different than the current US lot.

Sail#4854

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yuck. I hate all that 80s sh#t. I lived it once.......if you bring back any of those hideous sails, you'll be opening yourself up to such things as white linen suits, short shorts (mens) and hair metal. Barf.
Let's keep moving forward with sail patterns. Let's stay in the 21st century.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

xanderwess wrote:
Yuck. I hate all that 80s sh#t... short shorts (mens)

Funny! Hate to tell you... I heard that Men's short styles are going shorter again!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great. I'll blow the dust of my old Depeche Mode cds and wait in anticipation.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just saying, there's a HUGE variety of sails back when..... I realize sailing has declined prob 50% in the US over the last couple decades - power boats and jet ski's are all i see anymore ( vast majority inland ) and there's got to be 25+ cats delaminating away in the sun year after year in my area. Just trying to think of a way that's practical to get people - at a distance - looking at, identifying and maybe getting into buying a hobie..
I know every summer when i'm flying past a pontoon boat full of people and kids they're taking pictures and waving like mad. I cruise past beaches and crowds of people in the water that seem to get a visual thrill of sailing but don't take any action or effort to learn about it. Maybe a solid really bright color (colour) with a huge fancy H in the middle of it? Swap it out every few years? NO BROWN, but the sunset/tropical/sweet/cool/vivid/bright patterns automatically and draw attention!
The guys that can drop $3k every couple years prob could give a crap less/minor about sail color - just performance.... my guess is 1% of H16 owners race only... the other 99% sail a beater cat for fun and don't care about being in the top 5 at a regatta only.... I could be very wrong, my mileage varies ;)

Tim

Memphis, TN fleet 134