Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Strangely enough, it was the sail with red markings on some pics of Bravos that we were looking at which helped convince my wife that we needed a little sailboat to get over to the beach on days we were too tired (OK Lazy) to kayak.

When it arrived, it came with the more recent blue and green sail. My wife was extremely disappointed and after a lot of sulking, I called him back to ask if by some slim chance, could he source a red one before we took this one out on the water. He was extremely accommodating (Hats off Rodrigo!) and called back with news he actually had one in storage. We arranged to cross ship sails and everyone was happy.

My point... never underestimate the power of WAF in big ticket purchases.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

danneskjold wrote:
Besides, at the start line if all the sails are white, it’s hard to identify the boat in the middle of the pack who’s over early. The unique colored sails are easy to pick out by the race committee.
Uniquely colored sails are also easy for your competition to spot from a distance. But recreationally sailing a Hobie with white sails is antithetical to Hobie.

Hobie has created many fun color combinations, but money, volume, demand, and times change, and as Edna Mode in the movie The Incredibles said, "I never look back, darling; it distracts from the now."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
In the late 1960’s, only a few
boat manufacturers offered colored
sails, most notably Alcort, the
makers of the Sailfish and Sunfish.
Hobie Cats seemed made for color.
But the first colors weren't in the
sails – they were in the hulls.
When you ordered a Hobie 14
in the late 60’s, you could choose
from twelve different gel coat
colors and you could select separate
colors for the hulls and decks.
From a distance though, you still
couldn't tell a Hobie Cat from any
other sailboat. Hobie Cat needed
something to make their product unique and with any
luck, sell more boats. The fully battened sails were a
natural canvas, so Hobie started introducing colored
panels. The rest is history. Today, Hobie Cats and
colored sails are inexorably connected.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy new sails for my 16 in the next year or so. I wish there were more options. I still have a soft spot for the Carumba sails on my first '84 I sailed with my Dad. I'd love to see some of those Hobie Europe patterns offered in the US now that the Hobiecat companies have reunited. (any chance Matt?)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:00 am 
Site Admin

We are working on a World Wide uniformity. Will take some time / years to work that out.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

GD_NC wrote:
I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy new sails for my 16 in the next year or so. I wish there were more options.
Take a look at the six colors in Hobie's sail loft now: White, red, blue, green, yellow, gray. If you're getting new sails and don't like the patterns offered off the shelf then take some initiative and creativity and spend the extra couple bux and get a custom pattern. I'm thinking of doing it for my 18. I'd like a red, white, yellow pattern. Maybe a blue, white, yellow one?

Shoot. . . a stock Hobie sail already stands out from the crowd, why not stand out in the Hobie crowd? Maybe you can get some ideas from here:

http://2010.archive.hobiecat.com/suppor ... istory.pdf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Are European Hobie sails priced around the same compared to US market?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The sail colors go a loooong way. As i'm cruising all over the lakes in Mid MS ect...i see people whipping out their cameras and kids waving all over the place... Makes me feel good. From Car to water with one crew member in less than half an hour doesn't seem like any big deal at all.... not to mention, i didn't need to stop off at the marina and drop $200 into a gas tank for a few hours of cruising ( although being stranded with NO wind on a summer evening miles from ramp really SUCKS )
Seems everyone has a ski boat or pontoon boat out on the water.... NONE draw the attention of a catamaran flying along the water that i've seen. I have two H16's now with the cooler carts off the front beam... could make a few more friends this up coming summer. Hope to see you guys at the regatta's ect soon!
I'll be whipping out a newly restored H16 this summer..... any ideas on boat names? ( off topic i know ) No biggie

Tim

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
We are working on a World Wide uniformity. Will take some time / years to work that out.

What are the differances between H16 North American Sails and European Sails?
Is it the material?
Is it the cut?

British Hobie Cat Nationals 2012

I like the Red & White sails on the right side of the photo.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

no its how they look.
http://www.hobie-cat.net/hobie-cat/images/produits/hobie_16/h16_sailcolor.pdf

1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
2008 Laser Radial/4.7 #190471
S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The new designs are a killer high-tech performance look.....
I mean like a 70's/80's/90's , everyone can do it, simple striped look. The older boats looked like a case of cheap beer tastes........Really Good! :lol:
Tim

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Skipshot wrote:
GD_NC wrote:
I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy new sails for my 16 in the next year or so. I wish there were more options.
Take a look at the six colors in Hobie's sail loft now: White, red, blue, green, yellow, gray. If you're getting new sails and don't like the patterns offered off the shelf then take some initiative and creativity and spend the extra couple bux and get a custom pattern. I'm thinking of doing it for my 18. I'd like a red, white, yellow pattern. Maybe a blue, white, yellow one?

Shoot. . . a stock Hobie sail already stands out from the crowd, why not stand out in the Hobie crowd? Maybe you can get some ideas from here:

http://2010.archive.hobiecat.com/suppor ... istory.pdf

I have to say, my favorite sail colors were from the first few years, just a 1 color alternating with white for simple stripes, it is way more unique than most patterns. If I had money for it, my boat would be getting striped yellow sails. or maybe striped red sails? man, choices. There are still a ton you can get from Hobie. It'll just cost you more.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:

optikid, You missed my point. I agree that most of the European sail look much better than whats in the American catalog!!!

Tim +1
Quote:
The new designs are a killer high-tech performance look.....

My question was how are the Hobie Europe sails different? SIZE, MATERIAL, Batten number or placement?

Corkguy flying 85 Fantasia, 85 National Red,

My vote for a re-issue would be 85 National Red, 85 National Purple

Last edited by Cork Guy on Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Being the stickler for detail that I am, I went on the Mariner Sails website and looked up the price of a white set of H16 sails vs. the price of a custom set of H16 sails. White main and jib: $1425. Custom order main and jib: $1937. A Seabreeze or Hot Tamale pattern will be somewhere in between.

I like the legacy patterns, but I really enjoy seeing some of the custom patterns that people have designed. If I were going to buy new sails, I would go with Hobie-built custom sails. I'd stick with Hobie because they are the best quality and will last longer, not to mention they're class legal which is important to racers, even bad ones like me. Class legal sails will also demand better resale value than an aftermarket set.

I bought new Hobie sails for my 20 a few years ago and went the custom route. Maybe you like them, maybe you don't, but no one has a pattern like this!

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How much do euro market sails go for?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next