Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hull repair
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What is the most permanent way to repair soft spots in h16 hulls?

Post subject: Re: hull repair
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Most are using gitrot epoxy as its very thin and flows out well into the voids.
Make sure you use a drill stop or a peice of tape wrapped around bit so you dont go through the inner glass layer!
Lots of posts on here about this process if you search for "soft spots" and "gitrot"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I used a moto tool (Dremel Tool) when I made my repairs on my 1979 H16. It's much smaller and less intimidating to use for small repair projects, like this one, than a hand drill. You get a better feel fot the drill going through the top layer of glass and then the foam.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks! Nice suggestion. A dremol tool or somthing like that would be a good way!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks "hobiesrock" good info and illustration!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Things that will help: clean the area real good after you drill the breather holes and injection hole(s) so you know your tape will stick
Black electrical tape worked better for me than masking tape, either way you want some thing that sticks good. pre-cut a bunch of pieces and stick them at the ends off the cross bar or edge of hull so they are easy to get to relatively quick.
Tilting the hull upward at the front will help fill the lower areas through the breather holes sequentially instead of it coming out at random holes if the boat hull is level.
You may want more than one injection hole (one in the middle and/or one at the highest point.
Where possible sealing the breather holes that are located on the smooth surface fiberglass sealed better than the no skid coarse surface.
I used west system epoxy-because I aready had it (kind of thick) git rot might work alot better like everyone is saying, it will probably flow in better instead of how I felt like I had to pump in the west system epoxy.
Depending on how big an area you are filling. you can get calk style empty cartrages from west system or use a syringe, the cartrage allows you to mix up a bunch of material, fill up the cartrage and potentially one shot the job or hull at a time. May be found also at hardwares, or building supply warehouses like homedepot.
If you go the cartrage way, take an exacto knife and cut just the point off at the very end and drill a very small hole back in with a dremer tool, so you have a small point and that you can make your injection hole(s) in the boat as small as possible.
When injecting, try not to pump it in hard, try to let it flow, or you will be pressurizing the hull and it will still get out around your tape. Use a good calk gun and do this in the shade, in the mourning is when I did mine.(coolest)

79 H16 #46803