Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Homemade Mast Carrier
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Saw something similar to this posted here on friday. It was made from a Bow Stop and a Keel Roller. I got to thinking that it could be made using only Bow Stops. I had actually already bought one Bow Stop, The Clear Yellow kind (would not work for this, I was looking at a different idea. So, yesterday I went to Walmart to pick up a Wiring Harness for the trailer and I saw that WM sold the Black Bow Stops. Picked up 2 of them @ $9.98 ea. Stopped by Tractor Supply and picked up a 1/2" x 8" Bolt, Washers(2) , Nut and Lock Washer $1.72.

Cut one bow stop in half, There is a line down the middle that makes it dummy proof. I used a hack saw and used a vice to hold it. After you cut , you line up with the whole bow stop and make a mark where the holes need to be drilled. 5 minutes later or less, I was done.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice! That's about the simplest design I've seen. Does it say in place OK?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I will let you know after I pull the Hobie!!! But I figure if strapped mast to frame it should me ok. Mag glue some hydro turf (foam matt material for pwc's) to it for some compression when strapped down.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have the official $70 Hobie fiberglass version (came with my boat). It's held in place by a single 4' shock cord wrapped around the mast and rear beam. Seems like you could do the same with this.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is what I am planning to do. Found that the forward Mast Support is split. Looks like there was water in it at some point that froze. The galvanized steel is no longer "Box Tubing" more like Round Tube in that spot!!!! Time to build another one.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

will try this on kids Hobie 16
I bought one small and two large bow stops
The small one is more of a V
Plan to go to lowes for the bolts
Will post results as sucess or total failure
The mesh tramp has no center opening will try to engineer hold downs to main traveler gear
Total cost so far $20
Former Hobie Admiral Gary

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tie a rope to the rear Tie Off point for the traveler line, then go up and over then pull it through the traveler cleat.......... Boom. Tied Down. Better yet, get some 3/8" Bungee Cord!!!!!!!!!! Added Tension. May have to try that myself!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

will buy a galvanized threaded rod with 2 eye nuts today did a dry fit yesterday it goes perfect over traveler cleat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Finished the mast carrier last night. Solid as a rock. fits the mast perfectly. Total cost was less than 25 bucks. That being said I did use about $300 worth of tools DeWalt 20 volt drill 20 oz claw hammer 12 oz Coors de Light and some KY. I drilled a 1/2" hole into the big bow stops then drove a 1/2" X 8" galvanized bolt thru the whole assembly The lube helped get a 1/2" bolt thru a 1/2" hole. The mast holder fits over the main traveler and even stabilizes the tilller cross bar. Thanks SXRRACER for the idea. will post pictures if I can figure out how :lol: :lol: :lol: Former Hobie Admiral Gary

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Is there a reason why you guys used a bow stop for the center piece instead of a roller? I liked the original idea because the roller made it easier to slide the mast off when you are setting up solo.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Never thought of the roller being used for anything else than a place to set the mast on!!!!!!!!!!! I guess I have gotten use to picking up mast!!!!!!!!!!! But I like that idea also......

I was looking at it from a good support bracket!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just noticed your tramp in those pictures. It looks like you laced it up with a twist in it. Is this to keep it tight as you lace it? It looks cool...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That the way it came. Working on replacing the tramp. Really stiff. afraid I will go through it at some point!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I see no problem with the mast being able to slide on the bow stop that being said the mast support that I built will hold the mast firmly in place when trailering which is the intended use

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

gary eudy wrote:
I see no problem with the mast being able to slide on the bow stop that being said the mast support that I built will hold the mast firmly in place when trailering which is the intended use

That was my intention, but I may pick up a roller of the same width and just play with it. who knows. May make it where both are used, Have the roller flip up when needed!