Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie 16 at San Francisco
Photograph:Erik Simonson
David Brookes, Friday, 31 May 2013

Hundreds of thousands of anxiously awaiting spectators will have the pleasure of watching some additional multihull action as the US Sailing Multihull Championship for the Hobie Alter Trophy will be racing on the America’s Cup course as a precursor to the opening race of the America’s Cup.

Looking back where this all began, many would point to the cover of Time magazine, where a Hobie was caught in mid-air, flying over a monstrous wave. It seems fitting the Hobie 16 was selected for this 2013 championship.

America’s Cup spectators will have a special opportunity to watch additional multihull racing as the 2013 U.S. Multihull Championship for the Hobie Alter Trophy will race on the America’s Cup course on September 7 as a unique precursor to the opening race.

The Hobie 16, iconic to the world of multihull sailing, is ideal for this US Sailing Championship.

The Sausalito Yacht Club (Calif.) has put together an amazing team to make this an outstanding event with great competition and a special experience.

If you would like to race on San Francisco Bay during this historic sailing event please visit the event website for registration details and more information

http://www.hobieclass.com/news.asp

The info link is currently 404... but this is GREAT!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For anyone that races cats, or any kind of sail craft for that matter, racing in SF Bay should be on your bucket list. I've raced so many different things in a lot of places, that I've forgotten the vast majority of them, but I remember not only every race, but every leg that we raced on SF Bay. If you go, study the currents well.

I remember one race in very light air (rare). We were going towards the windward mark, and the wind died. Current was 4 or 5 knots on the bow. We set the kite, and everyone drifted back to the point that we had a good lead going backwards. Unfortunately, the wind died completely, and that race was canceled. All the other days were in 20 to 25.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Man how epic would that be to run the AC course on a 16! I am thinking about riding down on my streetbike to watch the AC this year! Any 411 on where I can camp and where to watch appreciated!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm planning on going for sure!
Any tips on the best days to go, places to stay or better places to spectate? It costs a fortune from tickets ect ect very quickly if you're there for more than a few days. All the video's i've seen of the events are amazing. Would love to get up close :)
Tim

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ronholm, awesome new!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Bitchin!.