Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Time for a trimaran.
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

As I'm typing this I can hear the backlash. The AI's are super popular, and look like lots of fun to me. I had even considered getting one, but my problem is that i want to take my whole family with me when sailing. I love the idea of sailing raids, sailing, camping fishing etc... How about a larger trimaran with a cool tent add on, the size of a getaway for general purpose sailing, fishing, paddling and adventure sailing. :)

Post subject: Re: Time for a trimaran.
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A bigger version of the current TI might be getting a little bit much on several fronts - transport, durability, plastic limitation, etc. Your answer might be two Tandem Islands. One adult in each, and perhaps two kids each. Or even three.

But I'm with you in spirit, although what I'd like to see is a Hobie version of something like the Motive Trimaran. They could do it for less money and perhaps nearly as well, through other materials. Maybe. But even then, it wouldn't be as versatile as the Island Series. It would be, however, a serious sailing machine.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I take my family with me on the Tandem Island - I shot this video this past weekend - my boys are tiny though (8 months and 2 years)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOV-zFnDnCk[/youtube]

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

what about a weta trimaran

1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
2008 Laser Radial/4.7 #190471
S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The AI is a bit to small for my family of 6. The getaway does a good job for us. I think a slightly larger AI could handle more sail and hold more weight. It would be easy enough to trailer and getaway hulls are proof that you can do much more with plastic.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You are aware that the TI is substantially larger than the AI, correct?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Buy an F31!!! also known as a Corsair 31

You'll will be very happy!!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

kevinbatchelor :
Have you looked at the Hobie Adventure Tandem Island boat (this is the larger version of the AI). If you search youtube for Tandem Island you will see many videos of Tandem Islands loaded down with families. The boat is promoted as a family fun boat, and indeed it is.
Here is one of my favorite TI videos showing 3 large guys on a TI with the trampoline option (which is a must have option, HAKA's are also very desirable for carrying extra passengers (HAKA's are kind of like the wing seats on the getaway).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_jdhs9QNKus[/youtube]

If you look at the specs on the Tandem Island vs the Getaway you will find the Tandem Island to be much larger than the Getaway (I believe the Tandem Island is Hobies largest boat)

ti vs getaway
length 18.5' -- 16.7'
width 10' -- 7'8"
weight 190lb -- 390lb
sail area 90 sq ft -- 180 sq ft
capacity 600 lbs -- 1000 lbs

One huge advantage the TI has over any other boat out there is the dual Mirage pedal drives, just by pedaling lightly you can propel the boat even in no wind at all at a reasonably fast clip (4-5 mph), both my wife and I can pedal all day long (10 hrs), and get up and do it again the next day. So you don't necessarily need all that extra sail area, keeping in mind that along with extra sail area comes more responsibility and complexity. The Tandem Island is near impossible to capsize, and has proven itself out in just about any conditions within reason (ie.. CG small craft advisory is our limit), which is likely the same limits to safe sailing on the Getaway as well (especially with your family).

If you do get a TI I highly recommend getting the trampoline option, each trampoline has a 200 lb capacity, and is perfect for additional passengers. The boat has 2 seats so the plaque on the hull says 2 passengers on the kayak hull, and 600 lbs capacity. Since the kayak part of the boat can be used stand alone as a kayak (actually a really good kayak).
There is no other boat on the market today that is as versatile as the Tandem Island especially when it comes to family fun. We always carry 6 pfd's on board, and often go out snorkeling off Higgs beach or Tank Island (Key West) with as many as 6 people on board (in safe water and conditions of course). If I had to guess, the boat in the above video is loaded with over 700 lbs of people.
We added a motor (2 hp gas) and extra sails (260 sq ft) to our TI but we use our TI mostly out in open ocean (salt water) for Scuba diving and island hopping in and around Key West, and the Florida gulf coast, but that's just us, everyone has their favorite things to do.
This is our TI on a recent trip to the keys, we kept it moored offshore for the whole week, and went out sailing and snorkeling every day with as many as 6 people on board at times (adults and children), of course when loaded down we stayed in shallow and safe water.
Hope this helps you.

Last edited by fusioneng on Wed May 29, 2013 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is another of my favorite Tandem Island videos, which is a family of 6 enjoying their TI.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb4orK9MLXE[/youtube]

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:25 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yes the TI is what I meant. The TI isn't going to handle 6 people. I'm thinking bigger then the TI too, for larger party. There is on way the TI would handle my family. I think they are awesome though.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Actually I'm quite happy with the Getaway. It's defiantly the best option for my situation and sailing style. I'm not into racing, rather I like to take it out on long trips, camping fishing etc.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

kevinbatchelor:
The Getaway in my opinion is also a great boat, I wouldn't mind owning one. Unfortunately I live in a restricted subdivision where no trailers are allowed, so whatever I own has to either go on my car top, or a small trailer that can be broke down and everything stored in the garage and/or inside the back of the SUV. We also have a camper, which occupies the hitch when we are traveling (we take our TI whenever we travel). On a positive note though we don't have to pay any storage fees anymore (we used to own a Sea Ray and it cost over $300/month to keep it in dry storage, plus maint costs and fuel was killing us. We are on our 8th Hobie now, and are very happy with all that we have owned, ongoing costs are nearly nothing, very well built and all seem to last a long time with very little maintenance expense. My wife of course doesn't agree with me and would rather be on the Sea Ray, 'but we have to live in the real world" (LOL), one that we can afford. :lol:
Bob

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

optikid
Quote:
what about a weta trimaran

Yes, the Weta Trimaran is AWSOME. We bought one of the first ones (275) to replace my wifes Bravo. It was like going from a VW bug to a Porche. From 2 hulls to 3, from 1 sail to 3. Hobie would have a hard time coming up with a better design, materials (fiberglass and carbon fiber, there is very little metal on the boat) or price (~$12.5K). Weta is also a new company and will listen to & impliment design considerations for improvements. The US West Coast distributer, Dave Berntsen - WetaWest, is a great guy, avid sailor and has taken very good care of us. When my H17 Sport becomes too much for me to handle (I'm 59), I plan to move over to the Weta. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The weta looks awesome, that's exactly what I was thinking. I wonder if Hobie could pull that off.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's the subject of a long, painful discussion. But really, irrelevant to your search.

If you want a family hauler that is still fun, the boom-less, dagger-less getaway with its wing seats, coolers, storage and jib/spinnaker is the way to go.

It's built like a tank, but doesn't sail like one. Easy to rig for fishing too.