Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H18 for sale?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok folks, I am in the market for an H18. I live on the TN/KY line and my budget is roughly $1500. I am also looking for the boat to come with a trailer. Anyone know of any for sale within driving distance? I have been looking online but most seem to be out of driving distance (ie-CA, WA, NJ, PA). I would also like it to have no soft spots and only minimal work to be done on it. I dont mind having to replace some components because it will help me with learning the boat. If you wouldnt mind keeping an eye out at your local marina or others that you sail with who are thinking of getting rid of their boat that would be a huge help. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: H18 for sale?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here is one in Nashville

http://nashville.craigslist.org/boa/3820110863.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Appreciate it J. What are some things to really look for or pay attention to when buying an 18? anything they are known for that are a real pain to replace?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rotorhead-58 wrote:
Appreciate it J. What are some things to really look for or pay attention to when buying an 18? anything they are known for that are a real pain to replace?

Just the usual.

- no corrosion or dents on the spars
- really check the hulls for soft spots and that they are strongly secured to the crossbars (do the allen bolts underneath need to be tightened?)
- older 18 rudder systems no longer have parts from Hobie, so look for upgraded ones
- if '84-'87 check on the hulls under the front cross bar for a reinforcement anchor plate screwed in place. These years are known to have light hulls, but without the reinforcement plates they failed, see photo below.
- If it has a comptip on the mast then make sure it is sealed well and not weathered too much. New comptips are around $650.
- check the dagger board trunks for damage
- replace the standing rigging if the owner doesn't know how old it is. This includes shroud anchor bolts.

At your price point a boat is on the borderline between salvage and expensive rehab to make it safe and functional, to give it a very good inspection. If it needs new standing rigging, sails, running rigging, and a trampoline then consider the cost of replacing these, which could be around $1000.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Damon has one down here in Memphis for sale. Will need some parts but the hulls and tramp are really good. Check out the classifieds on here and beachcats site. There's plenty of 16's around too if one of those would suit you.
Tim

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks for replying all! I am getting ready to go take a look at one out of Cookville, TN. talked with the owner and he said its obviously a used boat so it has minor things that all used boats come with but the tramp is in good condition along with both hulls. In fact, he thinks the previous owner had redone the hulls back in 94. I will make sure to do a close inspection on them though, esp on the areas mentioned above. It is an '88 so hopefully some of those problems in the earlier models wont be a factor here. I will probably replace all rigging however just for peace of mind. any recommendations as far as where to buy a complete rig set up? I'll take some pics and post them later today so everyone can take a look. thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

With the hulls properly supported, I suggest you take off your shoes, and walk barefoot on the hulls.
(I am assuming you are not the size of Zdeno Chara of the Boston Bruins).

If you feel the decking is flexing too much, and you feel mild 'creaking' or 'crunching' as you walk,
I would check further for delamination.

If the Hobie is flat on the ground, lift one bow, and see how much the boat 'twists', or if both hulls rise more or less together. Some disparity is normal, a pretzel is not normal.

Open up the deck ports, and look towards the stern with a flashlight.... check the daggerboard trunks for signs of water coming in through the upper and lower seams. Check the edges of the trunks on the upper front and lower rear to see if rough use has worn away the fibreglass, and if so, how easy will it be to repair.

Download the parts listing, and get familiar with all the bits and pieces to make sure you are looking at a complete boat.

Happy hunting