Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Found online a 1988 Hobie 17 or a newer Hobie Wave any advice for a newbie feedback would be great...
Is there any advantage or disadvantage to the older fiberglass to the newer rotomolded wave [/b]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Great you are looking and welcome to the Hobie way, more details would be helpful. Where are you going to sail, how - alone, crew , etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:37 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

broyer75 wrote:
Found online a 1988 Hobie 17 or a newer Hobie Wave any advice for a newbie feedback would be great...
Is there any advantage or disadvantage to the older fiberglass to the newer rotomolded wave [/b]
A Wave is going to be much more durable than a 17. The 17 is very much a singlehanded boat, whereas you can take a friend along on the Wave without any problems.

Don't get me wrong - I think the 17 is the best boat Hobie's ever built, but it's not for everybody. It has its quirks, it takes up a lot of real estate with the wings on, and it's heavy for its size.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MBounds wrote:
broyer75 wrote:
A Wave is going to be much more durable than a 17. The 17 is very much a singlehanded boat, whereas you can take a friend along on the Wave without any problems.

Don't get me wrong - I think the 17 is the best boat Hobie's ever built, but it's not for everybody. It has its quirks, it takes up a lot of real estate with the wings on, and it's heavy for its size.

But they are fast!!!!!!!!!! (The 17)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Speed-wise, the Wave and H17 are at opposite ends of the spectrum. H17 is a high-performance single hander, the Wave is a training/family boat. The 17 is more tunable, more powerful, more performance all around. The Wave is a very basic boat and generally underpowered in any wind below about 20 mph. 20+ mph, the Wave is actually quite fun to sail and the 17 starts to become a handful. Each boat has it's niche, but they are very different boats.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

srm wrote:
Speed-wise, the Wave and H17 are at opposite ends of the spectrum. H17 is a high-performance single hander, the Wave is a training/family boat. The 17 is more tunable, more powerful, more performance all around. The Wave is a very basic boat and generally underpowered in any wind below about 20 mph. 20+ mph, the Wave is actually quite fun to sail and the 17 starts to become a handful. Each boat has it's niche, but they are very different boats.

sm

20+ mph The Wave is a so FUN!!!!!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fUEa7FRpCA[/youtube]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

broyer75 wrote:

MBounds wrote:
17 is the best boat Hobie's ever built, but it's not for everybody. It has its quirks

I am a happy H17 1988 owner, but agree on the quirks. Here is a list of issues I know:

1. Leaky wind pockets. Water accumulates, freezes and the pockets crack
2. Mylar sail laminates over time and with UV exposure. Once delaminated, is basically a garbage
3. Cross-bars are on the light side and tend to crack. You would need to disassemble the cross-bars to inspect
4. Center-board hooks tend to break. You would need to take them out and inspect. There is relatively easy way to reinforce the hooks, you can do yourself.
5. Center-boards tend to jam if you park your boat on a gravel beach. I carry a short stick to push them out, but sometimes I sail with one board down only
6. I've had an issue with luff rope pulling out near the top of the mast. This also can be fixed with a luff update which is a piece of aluminum you can install (with pain).
7. H17 has a low load capacity for a catamaran. I sail alone about 50% of the time and otherwise with my wife and daughter (8). The boat is definitely faster if single handled, but sailing with a light crew in not out of question.

This is all I can think off. There are normal issues to check, such as soft spots, age of the trampoline, standing and running rigging, etc. There is a lot to learn as well, and definitely longer rigging time, as compared to the Wave.

To sum up, much depends on the condition of your 1988 H17. If the boat was well taken care off, got all the updates, decent sail, etc. it may be a better deal for you. A Wave is most likely to be in a good shape as it will be a newer boat.

Good luck with your shopping, and welcome to the family.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

JackB has a good grip on the H17 quirks. I hit 5 of his 7 listed with my 2000 H17Sport. I've gone through 4 front and 2 rear cross beams in 10 years (~350 days sailing). That being said, I love this boat for solo sailing, but it is not for everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks everyone for your input! most of my sailing will be alone so for that reason sounds like the H17 is a better fit