Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Flipped my H16 yesterday
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, yesterday was interesting. I was on the bay and flipped my hobie for the first time and was ready to right it. I was alone but had my righting bag ( holds 160 lbs) line etc but could budge it for the life of me. A boat stop where I threw him a line where we flipped it back in no time. I'm only 5'6" and 145 lbs. Now thinking that I have to install a "Bob" to get the mast up on the water and also invest a right pole.

Not sure what to do :?:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What exactly didn't work? How far over did the boat go? With a good breeze, the boat angled properly and that kind of weight you should have been able to right it. Can you do into a bit more detail of exactly what happened and what you did?

Technique is really important.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Does 'flipping' mean a capsize or did the H16 turtle?

If your mast is well sealed, it is likely you capsized, and with proper technique,
you should be able to right it, possible with the aid of a righting bucket.
If the H16 turtled, (turned upside down), you may need major help.... depending on water depth.

The last time I turtled a H16, the tip of the mast got stuck in the mud,
and we needed the help of a 125hp powerboat to drag us free, done carefully...

If you frequently sail solo, you may wish to invest in a Hobie Bob,
or attach pool noodles to the upper part of your shrouds.

Do a search on the Forum, there's plenty of good advice out there.
Others want to 'jump in'? (Ha ha)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Righting bags take a lot of practice! Righting pole is not a solo righting system. Get a shroud extender righting system. Not class legal though in case you are racing. A bob will keep the overturned boat at a little better angle for righting. Bob is also not legal for racing. I guess when Hobie made the class rules they wanted capsized boats to stay that way even though flipping the boat will nearly always put you in last place.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One thing that just occurred to me is that I have never actually capsized the boat, as in heeling until the boat loses balance. I've pitchpoled it quite a few times, but that tends to leave it in a much better orientation for righting than a standard capsize would. I can see how a boat would turtle if it just goes over to leeward. I've never had one even try to turtle because the tramp is already downwind or close to it.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sunvista wrote:
Get a shroud extender righting system. Not class legal though in case you are racing.

Shroud extenders are legal as long as they are only used for righting the boat (not adjusting the shrouds during a race). I actually don't even see anything specifically prohibiting the use of a mast float although I've always heard that they aren't legal, so maybe they are considered a mast alteration? I think that it could be argued that a mast float doesn't increase boat speed in any way and is only used as a righting aid, so meets the requirement of this rule.

General Rule 8.2
* Righting water bags, shroud lengthening devices, righting pole type devices, and righting systems other than the minimum system specified may be carried and shall be used for righting purposes only.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In2Bass wrote:
Well, yesterday was interesting. I was on the bay and flipped my hobie for the first time and was ready to right it. I was alone but had my righting bag ( holds 160 lbs) line etc but could budge it for the life of me. A boat stop where I threw him a line where we flipped it back in no time. I'm only 5'6" and 145 lbs. Now thinking that I have to install a "Bob" to get the mast up on the water and also invest a right pole.

Not sure what to do :?:

I would build or buy a righting pole, something you can use as a lever to right the boat. At 5'6" 145#, you're going to have a major challenge sailing solo without one, even in heavy winds.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all of your replies. I didn't turtle but the mast was angled down in the water column a bit. I had a bit of a stiff wind so I couldn't turn and point the mast in to the wind but the boat finally turn by itself with the mast pointing in to the wind but I still couldn't right it.

I had a hard time trying to get the bag behind me and leaning out. There was just too much sail in the water but I guess its just a matter of knowing how to right a hobie.

This was a first for me so I was going off of what I read, watching video's, etc.

Pretty soar today as I was at this for quite some time before help reached me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

sunvista wrote:
Righting bags take a lot of practice! Righting pole is not a solo righting system. Get a shroud extender righting system. Not class legal though in case you are racing. A bob will keep the overturned boat at a little better angle for righting. Bob is also not legal for racing. I guess when Hobie made the class rules they wanted capsized boats to stay that way even though flipping the boat will nearly always put you in last place.

Do you have a pictire of a shroud extender righting system ... not sure how they work.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Getting the boat turned properly into the wind so that the wind can help lift the sail, and making certain the main sheet I uncleated is very very important.

I have never tried to use a righting bag or shroud extenders. A pole the only way to go IMO

Having to reattach shrouds sounds like a major pain in the butt while sailing solo

A bob sounds like extra weight on the end of the mast assuming of course your mast is properly sealed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Technique and weight have much to do with righting a 16. I've capsized a 16 solo, and at 220# twice righted it alone without a righting bag and twice needed help from a passing boat.

- put the mast into the wind; I've held onto the bow and created a sea anchor so the mast weather-vaned closer to the wind
- loosen the main and jib sheets and main traveler; you can't lift the water tightened sails can hold2
- tie knots, or loops, in your righting line for grip
- dunk your mast into the lake (unattached to the boat and before your next outing) to check for leaks
- don't solo when you're the only one on the lake, but if that's not an option, try not to capsize by letting out the main traveler

In my experience, the most difficult part is getting the tip of the mast about two feet above the water to reach the righting moment.

ronholm wrote:
Having to reattach shrouds sounds like a major pain in the butt while sailing solo
Yeah, shroud extenders sound like they're for bigger Hobies like the 20 or 21, and reattaching the shroud anchors requires going ashore.

Last edited by Skipshot on Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Make a righting pole...cheap and easy to make. And it works.
There is a post up on the 16 forum and also in the 18 forum with more info on making them!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hobiesrock wrote:
Make a righting pole...cheap and easy to make. And it works.
There is a post up on the 16 forum and also in the 18 forum with more info on making them!

Do you have a link showing how to make them?

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=44602

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=44504

I made mine out of an old 2 piece windsurfing mast.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hobiesrock wrote:
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=44602

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=44504

I made mine out of an old 2 piece windsurfing mast.

Thanks ... what is the black block material on each end?