Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I live in St Augustine Florida and unfortunately the time has come, and we are getting kicked off are sailing beach of the last 50 years.
Any information from other sailers in regards to cities around the country that have made parking for cats, what they charge and require.
I need to present the city a proposal on helping us keep the beach open, and showing them they can profit from this.
Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.
Respectfully,
Todd
Hobie 20
P.S.
I'd rather be sailing then dealing with this!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Good luck. Look at the two forms under the section Parking and the Beach for Hilton Head.
http://www.hiltonheadislandsc.gov/publi ... /forms.cfm
I'm sure with some digging you can find the underlying regulation for keeping a boat on the beach. Also, with limited access the beach patrol will haul your boat to it's spot for, if I recall, $70 each way.

Last edited by jonh on Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here in Indianapolis we have a city park called Eagle Creek that has a specific area for catamarans called Hobie Beach. There are probably 60 spots and most were rented this summer season. I think there are only 5 available right now.

The cost is $550 from mid-May to mid-October.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about their setup.

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

In South Dakota we have a Hobie Beach with 40 spots, which are all filled. Our cost is $275 for May thru Oct. It is a state park and it is done through them. They provide a set of beach wheels and concrete anchors between each boat to tie them down. They have a chain link fence that runs behind all the boats the whole length of the beach. On the fence it has our slip number, and we all keep a box along the fence to store everything. They have signs up that state the beach is zoned for sailing, boats are private property, and swimming is not advised. The beach is bouyed to keep power boats out. The state also grooms the beach weekly. We have amazing facilities and are very fortunate to have them. The set up is very organized and tidy, so it looks nice. All the boats are in a nice straight line. In our agreement the boats have to be returned to their tie downs nightly, and trailers are stored off site.