Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HD Camera with GPS....
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Last season my Gopro video and the GPS tracks from an android app on my Phone proved nearly invaluable as training/teaching tools....

I know GPS based compass/tools are not class legal... but I can't imagine video with GPS overlay for use/education only after the an event would be a problem... If it is... Fine.. It will only be used for practicing...

So...

I would love to record my sessions with real time video... the speed loss during a tack.... or how long it takes to get back up to speed... Mark rounding... ect... Starting acceleration...

Does anyone have experience with video with a GPS overlay?

Should I stick with the gopro and find some other way to overlay the GPS data in the video later? Or?????

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:23 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

The best training video is not shot from the boat you're on, but from a person observing you.

Kind of like a dancer practicing in front of a mirror.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MBounds wrote:
The best training video is not shot from the boat you're on, but from a person observing you.

Kind of like a dancer practicing in front of a mirror.

Hey... I'll get that when I can... :D

For now though... The goal is to have at least a couple of us competing locally with something which will produce a GPX track...

The idea here is to have a 'mirror' grabbing as much info as possible.... mounted to my boat...

(Although... I must admit.. Sailing at night, or with eyes closed using only info fed from the crew.... Well that is probably more instructional than information overload.. :) )

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

See Mbounds... Here is what I want... Simple GPS overlay with HD video....

The ultimate would be integration with an app like this...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... beta&hl=en

So not only could you have speed/compass readings... but also VMG.. distance to line... ect...

The RC could set the marks... Then tag the GPS coordinates... These then get synced with cameras/devices aboard the boat of each competitor...

So then at the post game you could run 4-6 boats in a window... Showing exactly where ground was lost or gained...

I have seen GPS feeds being played back http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QdjRjVz ... Cg&index=3

Anyone know how they did this? and how awesome would it be with video feed from boat!

All the hardware/tech is already on the market.....

Tell me more about this partnership with Oracle :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Contour +2 has both video and GPS track.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I saw that one... and may have found a connection locally for a great deal on the VIRB ELITE by Garmin...

Anyone here ever used either?

Or done overlays on Gopro video?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Late this summer I picked up a Contour+2. I built a PVC camera mount with similar placement to the Americas Cup center stern camera. First trip out I forgot to format the memory card. :cry: Second trip out got to the boat ramp only to discover the government shutdown somehow included the extra funding required to barricade off all access points to the lake I sail on. And that ended my summer. :evil:

I can tell you one thing though. The software that comes with the Contour+2 is very limited. You can overlay a few stats on a video that for some reason you can post to YouTube, Vimeo, or their website, but you can't save to your own hard drive. My next purchase will be a copy of DashWare ([url]DashWare.net[/url]) It's about $50 will read the files the Contour+2 creates. You can do a lot with creating custom overlay gauges, importing, and analyzing data in many formats.

I'm thinking your best setup would be the Contour+2 camera, DashWare software, and maybe Excel if you need to do some fancy math to create data for some of the possibly more advanced gauges like VMG.

One more nice thing about the Contour+2 is that you can take GPS data at 5 Hz vs. the 1Hz a lot of GPS loggers record. For a video overlay getting updates only once a second is really annoying and probably wouldn't have enough resolution to really show how you did through a tack.

-Rowdy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good point about the resolution of the GPS...

The app I am using on my phone does pretty well in that regard... but could be better..

Especially when the idea is to measure massive improvements I will be making in mark rounding and tacking speed.. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I few days above freezing got me antsy for sailing again. To feed my frenzy I wound up buying DashWare and creating sailing gauges for a video I made of "tacking" my jeep through a nearby neighborhood with nice square roads. Wish the video was with my 18, but man that jeep can point high. :lol: Below is a Youtube link. I think this is what you're after? If you do wind up going with a Contour+2 and Dashware, PM me and I can send you the files for these. Or, let me know if you have ideas for improving the gauges. The only data I have is GPS, so I have to manually enter the wind direction as a constant.

[youtube] http://youtu.be/4KcX3SQVqeU [/youtube]

-Rowdy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah... That is it... :D

What are you using to figure VMG? Dashware?

and if you 'round a mark' and head for the next... what about VMG then?

I would love also to find something similar to kattack http://www.kattack.com/webplayer/?raceG ... 6f6f6d87dd

because while this is cool... I ain't sure it is in the budget...

Google Earth will get most of the way there... but missing some features...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm using DashWare to figure VMG. First, I change the wind heading in my custom data import configuration. Then when I import the data it does the calculations. I have VMG set up to always be to windward, so if you are on a run you will have negative VMG. If you look at the speed & VMG graph, you'll see that it goes from -25 to 25 knots. Speed will always be positive, but the VMG will go negative. You can see this in the video at about 2:00 when I "round the windward mark." Although it is limited to only your boat, I think you could get most of the data kattack is showing, just maybe not in the exact same format. With a little trial and error on scaling and position you could customize the map gauge to add a background image showing the marks.

-Rowdy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That actually would work fine! The wind direction just wouldn't be wind at all... Just the direction of the marks.. Thus figuring VMG.. that makes sense enough to be helpful...

Waiting a VIRB to show up... should be here any day...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That looks like a pretty sweet camera! It stores the data as a seperate gpx file, where the Contour embeds the data in the mp4. If you wanted to use the gauges I created you would have to modify DashWare's default gpx import configuration to create your own custom import configuration with all the math to find VMG and stuff.

The way I have VMG setup it would be to the same heading throughout the video. If you have 2 marks and set your "wind" heading to be the heading between the marks positive VMG would be to one mark and negative would be to the other. But if you had three or more marks VMG wouldn't make sense except between the marks you used to set the heading.

Also, as I was playing around with DashWare a little more, I did see that you can import extra data files for other boats. DashWare was made for car racing, so the map is assumed to be a road. I'm guessing it draws the road based on the driven path of the primary data file and your other boats would be driving "off the road." In that situation it would probably be best to hide the "road" and just display a background image of the course.

If you really want some fancy data, gpx is just a specific form of xml. It would be possible to create an Excel macro to read in your gpx file and combine it with downloaded weather data of historical wind speed & direction along with the positions of your marks to output a csv file with everything you want (VMG/distance to the next mark, apparent winds, polars, etc.) You can then import the csv into DashWare to overlay on your video.

I think the only real limits to what you'll be able to do is your ambition and maybe programming & math skills if you want to get fancy. Good luck!

-Rowdy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:D I am hoping the camera lives up to my expectations... again the bummer is battery life... I would trade lower quality video for battery life.. So I am still thinking I need a stand alone GPS for longer days... but yeah...

YOur VMG calculations would work fine for my/our purposes..

Found this yesterday... I haven't downloaded the free trial yet b/c I was going to wait for the camera ect..

http://gpsactionreplay.free.fr/index.php?menu=2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My first test video.. in the dark... Camera in hand..

The dashboard options are a little limited.. but everything is automatically synced.. pretty nifty!

Other than I ain't certain how one would even go about things like VMG...

http://youtu.be/kX3isYS7E5g