Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next

How old are you?
1-20 6%  6%  [ 18 ]
21-25 7%  7%  [ 22 ]
26-30 11%  11%  [ 36 ]
31-35 9%  9%  [ 30 ]
36-40 7%  7%  [ 21 ]
41-50 30%  30%  [ 96 ]
51-60 23%  23%  [ 72 ]
61-70 7%  7%  [ 22 ]
70 plus? 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 320
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Age related counter-point to my previous post; The product quality from the early years was too good! Not sure how to maintain margin competing with used boats. But I do think that perhaps the younger age group desires a more contemporary look, which works in favor of newly manufactured boats. The age distribution in this forum is an interesting thing to mull.

By the way Hobie, to clarify; sell the boat division to someone like me, (someone who treasures the brand and has good business chops), but unlike me in that they can actually afford to buy a boat company! (only in my dreams)

Best,

Dan Peake
Campbell, CA
2003 H17 SE

Post subject: Sell?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:48 am 
Site Admin

Dan,

Hobie Cat has been growing the sailing sport again over the last 10 years. Since the introduction of the Wave, we have been able to increase sales of sailboat products that had been sliding since the mid 80's. This is a good thing. We are also bringing in more sailors via our kayaking products. A large percentage of those kayak owners are buying our kayak sail kits. The introduction of the Hobie Adventure Island is an all new way to get sailors on the water. Many of these people are moving up to other Hobie sailing products.

There is not a more dedicated group of people than us when it comes to the Hobie Brand name. We may not make the same chioces in products to build as some "old timers" Hobie enthusiasts think we should, but we make good business choices and choices that are good for the brand as well as the sport. This is proven in our 10 fold growth since the early 90's. Sell the division? No way!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

17 going on 18. My boat is old enough to be my dad. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the comments to my earlier post. I hope my opinions did not ruffle any feathers!

The 10X sales increase since the early 90's sounds nice, (Things are better than I thought) but are you saying, specifically, that Catamaran sales have done that? If so, I better take a humble pill.

Sailing kayaks are indeed an excellent gateway to sailing. I hope the users are transitioning to Hobie brand catamarans.

From my vantage (which lacks inside and historical data and no case studies to back up my opinion) Hobie Cat does not seem to compare favorably to other iconic brands/companies, like O'Neil, Independent, Vans, Harley Davidson, Nike, Specialized, and others I recall, who also established market traction and cultural visibility decades ago. Hobie remains tops in catamarans, but it does not seem to have the thunder and chatter it once had.

Back in the 70s and 80s when consumers had FAR less access to money, and were served by just three limited media types, there seemed to be more Hobies around. Within 20 miles of my home, I could go to a dealer and see the full product line. There were Hobies on TV shows, commercials, magazines, etc...! These are vital signs of a healthy brand, then and now. I am just not seeing it now with Hobie. (Maybe I'm not looking in the right places.)

Here is a possibly meritless comparison, but an interesting mental tangent, nonetheless; Hobie catamarans compare in some ways to an old band. Run an age survey on a Led Zeppelin forum; I bet you'll find similarities. Staying relevant is hard, strategic work for bands and companies, but bands must battle the limited commercial sustain of their best song, and they have the telomere thing working against them! i.e. doomed from the start.

Enough for now. Thanks for listening.

Dan
2003 H17 SE
Campbell, CA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I want to say that I'm only starting my 2nd year as a hobie owner/sailer... but I have seen things starting to pickup just in the last year... and thats in the midwest!

In recent conversations, I've mentioned sailing cats and my hobie to a few people and found out that a couple of those people have recently purchased older hobiecats and joined the fold as well.

Now, that doesn't mean they are going to go out and buy a brand new cat, which I'm sure Hobie would like them to do... but by having them sail a hobie and possibly introduce others to the sport, that would generate more interest which in turn will generate more sales for hobie.

On light wind days, I go out and cruise around in the bay near the park in town... 1. it's close to the dock, so if the wind dies completely, I can paddle back without too much trouble and 2. people come to the park on nice days.. they see me cruising around in my cat which hopefully draws some interest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I’m 26, and so is my wife. I got really interested last September when we took out a Hobie Wave (had no idea what it was at the time) on our honeymoon. It really was the perfect boat for the beginner. The only things that you have to worry about are the rudders and the mainsheet.

After talking to John Eaton, he has helped us get a good condition 1982 Hobie 16 (something in our limited post-wedding budget) for this season. We can’t wait to get her out on the water. I know there are a lot of people who question the purpose of boats like the wave, but I think it serves its purpose well. It’s not too intimidating for the novice, and certainly helps get more people out on the water.

Post subject: Welcome
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome to the Hobie family and the fun sport of cat sailing. Thanks to John. I have helped 6 get boats so far. Get these, whether from here or thru Hobie dealer if you can. Will cut years off learn curve. You and wife can learn together. Book has bold section for what crew should do.

Good luck,

Doug and Ashleigh Snell

http://store.catsailor.com/tek9.asp?pg= ... =jqcmhpjpe

http://store.catsailor.com/tek9.asp?pg= ... jnrorrrrg4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've been lurking these forums for a few months now. I actually planned on trying to order the dvds on Monday and the book a couple of weeks later. I've done plenty of reading, and I think seeing things in a video would help a whole lot more.

And I will try to get them from a Hobie dealer first. Thanks for the advice.

Post subject: Whole chapter on 16
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

JRagg:

There is a whole chapter on the 16 by Wayne Schaeffer, who had been around as long as Rick and is probably the best 16 sailor around. You will love the seminars. Both of you learn the Basic Boat Handling and Catamaran Roll Tack till you know them in your sleep. Wife needs to know BBH in case you ever have a trap line break and get dumped and she needs to come back an get you. If you have any questions, please post them. I started in 79 on a Hobie 16.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm 29... and as I said earlier, I just got a hobie last year... I wasted 14+ years of my life on jet skis... My introduction to sailing as a kid was not a pleasant one... as my dad was crazy with his little 19' daysailer... it made me not want to sail... but after going out on a nice 37' last year, I was hooked.. and looked for something that I could easily solo and have lots of fun with... enter the hobie 16. :)

edit: Oh.. and I got "Catamaran Sailing: From start to finish" as my resource to learn... and then a couple times out with my boss, who sailed cats as a kid... after that, I went solo and haven't looked back. This year I'll start doing trap fun!

Post subject: Get two resources listed
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Barren:

Get the two items listed. They are the best out there for cat sailing. EVEN if you don't race. BUT racing will make you a better sailor.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm sailing since i'm 11 (on my fahthers monohull), and now I've got my first boat :D .

Nice Weekend
Chriss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

ParleyII wrote:
Guess which boat everyone (all the young H.S. students and home for summer college students) wants to come look at? Guess which boat all the hotties want to check out? Answer: "That cool boat with the big white sails"!!

I'm 34 (for one more week) but I had the same experience earlier this year at a lake in NZ. We were the only sailing boat around amongst lots of skiing and wakeboarding boats. I was sailing 6+ hours a day taking people out and there was still a lengthy queue when we left 4 days later. Since then one 20 year old has bought a H16 and another guy is looking. The teenagers all said having the H16 there was the highlight of the weekend. We're going to visit them again in 2 weekends time for a repeat.

I think the teenagers just need some exposure to sailing, and to go for a ride and then many of them would take sailing up. After all, surfing, wakeboarding, skiing, snowboarding are all sports that you have to learn - sailing is just another. The "instant gratifcation" crowd will never be interested but there are lots of youngsters who will be keen to try out.

My oldest kid is nearly turning 10 and is keen to come sailing. Lots of his friends (and their parents) are extremely interested to so. Many times I'm taking newbies out and they all definitely want to come again. Maybe we'll all have to spend time recruiting our friends and their families and make an effort just to go down and take them for a ride.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

well at least i voted, im 16, probably one of the youngest on the forum...but who cares, we all (supossedly) love hobie cats!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next