Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next

How old are you?
1-20 6%  6%  [ 18 ]
21-25 7%  7%  [ 22 ]
26-30 11%  11%  [ 36 ]
31-35 9%  9%  [ 30 ]
36-40 7%  7%  [ 21 ]
41-50 30%  30%  [ 96 ]
51-60 23%  23%  [ 72 ]
61-70 7%  7%  [ 22 ]
70 plus? 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 320
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

15 here been sailing since the age of 3 and never regretted it.

when i got my Hobie 14T my sister begged my parents to get her a boat and they got her a topper. :x

I'm teaching her things so that she can sail cats as well in the future and own a bigger Hobie.

Also i have got her friends hooked on sailing but only on dinghies so far will be getting hooked on Hobie's by the end of next season i hope

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm 37 years old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey I'm 26 and have a Hobie 16 and love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I turned 50 last April, but I've had my Hobie 14T for at least ten years now - and have thoroughly loved every year I've had it.

Sure wish the folks at Hobie would consider re-issuing the 14-footer - even for a limited release. The youngest H14T I have is approaching 30 years of age, and it would be PURE JOY to have a new one (or a semi-used one, down the line).

I also have a WAVE. It's nice to have those wings/seats, and it's fun - but it's just not the same.

joanie

Post subject: Check out Alpha Omega 14
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joanie:

Tried to send you a email, but it bombed. Send me a email link and I will send you link for the video. It FLYS!!! All carbon 14 footer from Australia.

Doug
dsnell4 at houston dot rr dot com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'll be 60 next month. I'd been wanting a catamaran ever since "Jaws 2." Bought a H16 5 years ago but developed a sciatic condition shortly after the purchase. It took another two years for me to recover and start sailing. I almost sold it because I thought my condition was going to keep me from ever sailing it. After my recovery, I decided to name the boat "Sciatica." This will be my third year sailing and I have to say "this is one of the best things that has ever happened to me." It's not just the boat but some of the people that I've met as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I will be 59 in March. After 25 years of monohulls, I am going to be sailing a Hobie Wave in a few weeks. Geezzzzz, I have never stepped on a catamaran.

I expect to piss myself................

Loren

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

47 - I bought my Hobie 24 years ago, new. It was the coolest sail boat on our lake for years, and it still turns heads when I take it out. I do not know why they are not as popular now. Any thoughts? However I do not see wind surfers much anymore either. :?

1983 hobie 14 T #44848 Blue Hawaii Sails

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm 26. Been sailing hobie's for three years now. I used to snowboard, race motorcycles, raced motocross on quads, and working in construction is pretty much the only job I've had. I pretty much destroyed my body before I could legally drink. My parents would ship me off to YMCA summer camp for a couple weeks each summer when I was fairly young. There were specific things that you could have as a "major" so to speak and sailing was what I did every year. I can't remember what the boats were. 18ft mono's of some sort, and a couple of sunfish. From about twelve to 23 I hadn't stepped foot on a sailboat, in an off comment to a friend I told him that I was thinking about getting a sailboat of some sort and he bought me a couple of books for xmas. One was The Race. It told the story of Maxi-cats circumnavigating at 40+knots and I knew I needed a catamaran to fullfill my speed addiction. The challenge of getting a boat setup, and trimmed properly is what probably gives me the most fulfillment though. It appeals to my naturally anal-retentive, obsessive compulsive nature. Besides sailing is so much cheaper than maintaining a race bike. I could spend $500 on tyres in day, and more money on broken parts, bones, and missed work. Plus travel. I worked soley to support my habits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My first time sailing I was 17 and a guy I met that day at the lake took me out on his Hobie 14 Turbo, and based on that one experience three weeks later I bought a 16. The boat was nothing but a joy for the next three years while in college, then had to sell it vowing to buy another one when the time was right.

16 years later on my honeymoon in Thailand I found a fellow with a Hobie 18 and 21 offering a four day tour of the nearby islands with a support boat. It was great! Later that summer at my wife's family vacation home on a lake in Michigan I couldn't take sailing their beat up, old Laser anymore and bought a 16. The in-laws all know how to sail monohulls and didn't understand my NEED for a Hobie until they got on it. My father-in-law is 65 and our combined weight is about 440 lbs., and when the winds were 20+ we skipped a hull all the way across the mile-wide lake he had a new understanding of my NEED.

I'm 39.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just turned 20 and trying to bring young'ns to hobies to keep the sport i love alive.

20 crew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'll be 41 at Daggerless Regatta. I want new tiller connectors, a new butt bucket, a pony, a wind vane, good sailing gloves that don't stink, a new pair of size 10.5 Chuck Taylor Converse Hightops to use as sailing shoes (preferable in Red) and a six pack of Tecate. :lol:

Post subject: How old
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

59 with 2 new knees. The Getaway, bought last October, is my 4 th Hobie, a 15 and 2 16s. Had 3 monohulls also. After I got my new knees, my wife bought a used 16 and I got back into it after 10 years out of sailing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am 34. The first boat I sailed was a Gaff Rig. It was a small sunfish that my grandma had on a lake at her place in central Idaho. I sailed a Hobie 14 with some childhood buddies that have become life-long friends. We have many tales of fun sailing adventures from those early years. Later my parents bought a 22' US Yacht and I sailed it during my later years of high school and into college. My Dad and I travelled to Astoria, Oregon to have a survey done on what was to be our first blue water sailing vessel, a Vancouver 27, when I was nearing graduation from the University of Idaho. We still have that boat (The Sparrow) up in the San Juan Islands of Washington and sail her on family vacations. My wife and I recently purchased a 1985 Hobie 18SX that we will be sailing on our local lakes around Idaho this summer. This old Hobie needs quite a bit of work so I have signed up to the forum to see what topics have been favorites of discussion. I recently ordered all new rigging. Bridle wires, fore & side stays, and almost all new lines as well. That should get us through this summer. This next winter I will re-gelcoat the hulls and get her back into tip top shape. I welded up a spare tire mount to the trailer after work tonight and gave it some new rubber and rims for our adventures this summer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Age 43: Boat: 2003 H17 SE

My first sailboat, at age 16 was the H16, which I may return to - the H17's wings are comfy, but, for me, they rob you of the feeling of being connected to the water, and they dull the sense of speed and drama you enjoy on a 16.

Hobie users today are substantially those who responded to the marketing impressions of the 1970s/early 80's (me, for instance.) I think that's a big problem. My primary opinion is that the Hobie marketing plan is not not keying in on the new reasons young people of today might want to own a Hobie Catamaran. The Kayaks, by distraction, are probably a very profitable cause. If so, the boat division should be sold to someone like me, and all focus laid on Kayaks! (or at least let me run their US boat division.) In my opinion and from my POV, it looks like restructuring and improved decision making are needed in order to fill the beaches again. In addition this general form of recreation must be rebuilt, from policy-makers on up to the sales network. (As a business owner, this stuff is fun to think about!)

Best,

Dan Peake
2003 H17 SE
Campbell, CA

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next