Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hobie cat 14 turbo or 16
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello guys,

I have just a doubt between the Hobie 14 turbo and the Hobie 16.

This week end I saw in the beach for the first time a Hobiecat 16; my first impression was that it is quiet big for only one person.

My intention is to sail in most of the cases alone, but of course I want to have the possibility to invite someone with me as well from time to time.

The question is, what would you do ?? would you go for the 14 turbo or for the 16 ??

Will I get bored soon if I take the 14 ?? is it possible to have 2 persons on board on the 14 ??

Another thing is the weight, if I need to drag along the beach the 16 alone, isn’t going to be too heavy for only one person??

I read that the weight of the 14 is only 100 kg, and the 16 is around 150 kg.

Ok thanks in advance for your expert opinions on this.

Regards

woqr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't mistake me for an expert on the subject but I will give you my input. I sail monos when I was young and got into Hobies in the past year. I bought a very old 14 that had been converted to a turbo.

I have dealt with a 16 the my neighbor has some and let me tell you even though they are designed the same they are different boats. If you plan to solo alot go with the 14, it is plenty fast and when you get trapped out in 25mph winds there are not many things that can outrun it. When it comes to handling it on the beach, the 16 is going to be alot more work. I am pretty small only about 160 and can unload and load the 14 all by myself and barely break a sweat. The 16, is a fight, I couldn't get it on the trailor alone.

You will not get bored of the 14, unless you start piling tons of people on it. I have a close friend who sails with me all the time, and the 14 can handle us but throw a third on there, she is a slug!! But if it is just going to be you and a lady friend stick to the 14.

Like I said I am no expert and these opinions are probably very bias because I love my 14.

No matter what get a Hobie and have fun!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

woqr wrote:

The question is, what would you do ?? would you go for the 14 turbo or for the 16 ??

Personaly, I would say the 16

Quote:
Will I get bored soon if I take the 14 ?? is it possible to have 2 persons on board on the 14 ??

I Doubt you would get board on the 14 but the 16 would be better with 2 or 3 people

Quote:
Another thing is the weight, if I need to drag along the beach the 16 alone, isn’t going to be too heavy for only one person??

My fleet uses 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe made into various size rectanagles 2' x 4' is the most popular to slide our boats around on, easy on the hulls and even my 14 year old daughter can haul a 16 out of the water she could probably get it on the trailor if she wanted to. I know I can completly setup and tear down the boat by myself.

You will enjoy either I am sure.

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Go for the 16,

You never know when you might want to take someone else on the boat, and they really are a joy to single hand. I do it all the time.

Check out this video on my Myspace page (and some of my pics).

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... 1100454352

Sorry for the cam being so far away, and how shakey it is, but not much I could do about where I was sitting :P

Brent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

a 16 and a dolly or beach wheels.

But don't forget there are other issues, like righting a flipped boat. There has been a ton of discussion about this elswhere on the site, I say do a little research on the forum and see what you come up with.

Oh - and the video is really fun! Thanks for sharing, bphendril12

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Banzilla wrote:

My fleet uses 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe made into various size rectanagles 2' x 4' is the most popular to slide our boats around on, easy on the hulls and even my 14 year old daughter can haul a 16 out of the water she could probably get it on the trailor if she wanted to. I know I can completly setup and tear down the boat by myself.

Sam

Could you give some more detail to this PVC rectangle?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We have used the PVC pipe method, as well as using a couple of boat fenders to roll it on.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Triggs wrote:

Thanks

There's two ways to do the PVC thing:

One is to do a big one, wider and longer than the boat, which you lay on the beach at the waterline to slide boats in and out on. This works well for gravel beaches.

The other way is to make smaller ones which the boat sits on and you pull (I think this is the kind that Banzilla is talking about).

Either way, you just get the appropiate lengths of pipe, drill a rope-sized hole through either end about 2" in, and pass a rope through, making sort of a 'ladder' of PVC. To keep the pipes seperated, tie knots in the lines where they enter and exit the pipes.

http://www.div4.hobieclass.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I started on the H16. A great boat for singlehanding. I weigh 250 lbs (113kg) and had no trouble dragging the boat around on the beach without a dolly. I was able to right the boat solo in anything over 10 kts of wind. I was able to step the mast solo as well.

You will find the H16 a great all around beach cat. Especially when you want to take a passenger. Since the H16 is still a very prevalanet boat there are parts for it everywhere.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tjp wrote:
Triggs wrote:

Thanks

There's two ways to do the PVC thing:

One is to do a big one, wider and longer than the boat, which you lay on the beach at the waterline to slide boats in and out on. This works well for gravel beaches.

The other way is to make smaller ones which the boat sits on and you pull (I think this is the kind that Banzilla is talking about).

Either way, you just get the appropiate lengths of pipe, drill a rope-sized hole through either end about 2" in, and pass a rope through, making sort of a 'ladder' of PVC. To keep the pipes seperated, tie knots in the lines where they enter and exit the pipes.

Actualy, I had not thought of the rope ladder idea, that might just be better than the rectangles.

I have 4 each 4'x2' rectangles of 1.5" PVC and lay them out on the beach to slide the boat around on. Basicaly you do like the romains did. Using 2 rectangles per side, slide the boat from one to the next and move the one the boat was on to the front or back of the boat in the direction you are moving the boat.

Hope that makes sense.

Sam