Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help! Hobi Cat 4003?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys Im new to this forum and dont really know much about these boats. I came across this boat at a buddies house and dont know anything about it, iImageImagets in rough shape but I just want to know what kind of boat this is and how much its worth. If you guys could help that would be great!
Thanks
Tres

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Help! Hobi Cat 4003?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Its a Hobie 16. The 4003 is mostlikely the street number for the place advertised on the sticker. It has nothing to do with the boat. I'd first start by checking the last 2 digits on the HIN number which is located on transom where the rudders connect. The last 2 digits are the year (ex 83= 1983)

Check the hulls for soft spots. The common spots are right in front of the front crossbar.

The condition of the boat and trailer and what you have with the boat makes a difference on its worth. Does it have all the rigging and sails? what condition is everything in?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a the trailer and it works with the sails and beams. The beams might be a little dinged up. It has beach wheels and the hull isnt soft anywhere. The hin number actually says 83 coincidentally! Whats this worth if i were to sell it on craigslist or this forum? I have no need for it. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It is likely worth somewhere between $500 and $1500 depending on condition and if it is complete. Judging by the hardware, it is from the late '70's or early '80's, so it is an old boat. The trailer and cat trax (beach dolly) are worth a couple hundred bucks alone if they are in servicable condition. If the boat is complete and has no soft spots or other damage, it would probably be worth up to $1000 based simply on age. If it has soft spots, it is a parts boat and probably not worth much because of the age of the parts.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The upper rudder castings don't look to be the adjustable type. I think that showed up in '82 or '83- my '83 has them, '82 14t doesn't. Jib sheeting system is right for a mid '80's boat though. Might be parts from several boats! When they get to a certain age, that's pretty common. In my area, if the boat is sound, has good standing rigging, decent sails and a serviceable trailer you could easily get $1000 for it- more if it was in exceptionally good shape. Cat trax are a plus, too so long as the tires aren't rotten. It looks to me like the values vary widely depending on the location. This from a guy who drove 900+ miles to Missouri to get a 14t I found on e-bay!

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

tres_penny wrote:
I have a the trailer and it works with the sails and beams. The beams might be a little dinged up. It has beach wheels and the hull isnt soft anywhere. The hin number actually says 83 coincidentally! Whats this worth if i were to sell it on craigslist or this forum? I have no need for it. Thanks!

I took a guess with 83 because I have an 83 boat also and it has the same 'Hobie Cat' graphic on the side but it also has adjustable rudders.

I recently sold another 1983 boat we had. It was race ready with all hobie parts except the tramp. Good sail and good rigging. 6:1 blocks. double trap. trailer. no cat trax. the hulls had some soft spots also. The boat looked really good for its age. The hulls still had some shine to it. The boat was really clean.
Ended up selling it for $2000. Even took the time to show the guy how everything was setup. Just to give you some idea.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks guys! Everything seems to be working except for a few minor things. Ive been reading up and I'm definitely going to take it out and use it before I get rid of it! Preciate all the help. Ill post some pictures of it all cleaned up and hopefully in the water!