Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Singlehanded choice
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all!

I'm pretty new to catamarans and hobie, but I intend to buy one soon since I'm planning to go on a very long cruising by myself. I've been sailing my entire life and have been on pretty big races, so I have experience of single and double -handed dinghys, keelboats, 60ft racers, 60ft+ racers (and a 68ft trimaran!) and a whole lot of other boats. However, I have no experience of catamarans.

So my question is which one of the hobies to choose. I'm thinking about the 17, 18 and 21, since I want wings and staysail (=front sail...dont know what it's called in english). Which one of the above would you guys and gals reccomend?

Thanks!

/Marcus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For a long cruise the 21 would be best. It has more storage capacity than either the 17 or 18. You probably wouldn't be able to right it if capsized alone, only the 17 could be righted easily with one person.

Post subject: singlehanded choice
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Given the limited information about your plans, I'd take a look at the Getaway. At 16' it's not as large as the boats on your list, but it has a huge load capacity of 1000#s, A roller furling jib, a forward trampoline (storage space for camping gear), built in ice chests and an available wing seat kit. Perhaps best of all, the roto-molded hull will let you run it into shore with relative impunity. If speed is not your primary requirement, check it out on the Hobie website.

Post subject: I love my Hobie 71
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I love my Hobie 17. I have made some NICE changes to the $600 basket case it started from. Here are some of the mods.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules.php ... _album.php

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

in my opinion righting is the first you have to think of ,cause safety must be above all....
I think the getaway is the best choise for you ,isnt so nice as the others but is very practical for long distances .
Anyway I have a h14T and have already cruised for three hours !!!But it was a bit dangerous and I dont recommend...very risky!!
Let us know your choise ...and where are you living and sailing?

Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Doug I am in love with your boat is beautifull....!I wish I could see it from closer but I live far away from you all..

Martin

Post subject: Reacher
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Martin:

Put one of Rick White's Hooter systems on your 14 It will fly. Thanks for complements on the boat. I have worked hard to get it to were it is now. It is real fast.

Doug

Post subject: Nice!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, I think I'm convinced. The pictures of your 17 is beautiful, Doug.

I was most worried about the righting-thing, since I can imagine that cats are different from other kinds of dinghys. And even though I'm a sucker for power (which means that I would rather go with the biggest, boldest and fastest =21), I believe that one could get lots of power out of a 17 too. And it's easier to right, becasue I WILL capzise. That's just a fact.

Thank you everybody for your replies! It helped me out a lot!

Happy sailing
/Marcus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Doug thanks for the information ,I will check it out it seems very interesting .
I also have worked a lot my 14 ,Its an old 79! It had a lot of serious damage that I repaired and I renewed the hulls from the beggining .
I would love to find a 17 like yours but its hard to find this kind of boats here in Greece used ,are very rare .Even most of my friends view my cat and ask me....nice ,and where do you sit here??? :D
Anyway I am 23 and I am very patient ,someday I will buy a new one bigger so as to be able to carry my girlfriend with safety also!
see u round...

Martin

Post subject: 17? or 14 wih Hooter
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Marcus:

Thanks for complements on boat. So are you getting a 17 or putting a Hooter on your 14? If you need a reacher like mine let me know.

Doug
dsnell4 at houston dot rr dot com