Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Latest YouTube Video
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just put my sailing highlights from 2014 together. Sailing at various places including Lake Guntersville, AL, Clinton Lake, KS, and Carlyle Lake, IL. Enjoy and let me know your comments, tips, mockery, etc... I'm still very much trying to learn all that I can.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmEJ_KeD16I[/youtube]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great video,

It looks like you are not using a tiller.

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think I saw you at Clinton? Were you there a couple weeks?

You should have joined us racing?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

ronholm wrote:

I was at Clinton back on May 31st and saw you guys racing... but I've never raced and not sure my skill level or boat are prepared for that.

Not to threadjack my own topic, but I actually may be back in your area during the Frayed Knot Regatta, but again, not sure I'm prepared to participate (or have a class legal boat). Racing does sound like a lot of fun, but I'm afraid I'd run into someone or do something else stupid. Maybe I should just overcome my fear and participate in a regatta sometime... any tips?

Last edited by bmdumr on Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tim H16 wrote:
Great video,

It looks like you are not using a tiller.

Thanks Tim, for whatever reason, I prefer to just grab the tiller crossbar most of the time and rarely use the tiller extension. That could just be my terrible extension I have that I don't like though. Maybe you meant something else by your comment though...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bmdumr wrote:
ronholm wrote:

I was at Clinton back on May 31st and saw you guys racing... but I've never raced and not sure my skill level or boat are prepared for that.

Not to threadjack my own topic, but I actually may be back in your area during the Frayed Knot Regatta, but again, not sure I'm prepared to participate (or have a class legal boat). Racing does sound like a lot of fun, but I'm afraid I'd run into someone or do something else stupid. Maybe I should just overcome my fear and participate in a regatta sometime... any tips?

May 31st IIRC was the Point for Points Regatta... You totally should have stopped by! We had lots of food, camping is free with registration.. ect!

See you at the Frayed Knot!

There is a comp tip exemption, and nobody is really going to care anyway. Don't worry about your experience level! The only way to gain experience is to race, period. You will be in good company as we have a growing B fleet that all are in about the same boat. :wink: Also don't worry about running into anyone, 99% of the time it is no big deal anyway, and not even likely to happen as all the experienced sailors share the goal of making sure new guys are having a great time, and will keep clear, and HELP you out.

If you don't have crew we may even be able to find you someone with experience to help out. If nothing else I will be at the lake all day Friday and will be more than happy to teach you everything you need to know to enjoy your weekend.

When you click this link to register, make sure use select the first timer registration. It gives you a nice discount you can use towards your HCANA membership.

http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/8877

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The main advantage of using a tiller or hiking stick is that you can sit more forward on the boat so your transoms ride higher and bows lower. This will level out your boat more and make it go faster.

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

Last edited by Tim H16 on Mon May 17, 2021 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll say again that you really should come to Juana's. I guarantee you'd enjoy the weekend. Count on another 16 to be there with the Flamer sail also.
Don't worry about your experience level or not being "class legal" cause this isn't a hobie regatta although I would have a crew. Sailing singlehanded throws things off. People will sure let you know if you're in the way. Its all meant to be fun anyways. Like someone else sail, the way to learn is to go to some races. There is going to be 16's there that are brand new and some stuff that is probably older than yours.
I sold our old '83 model to a guy who lives in Huntsville also. Not sure where he sails but I emailed him the other day and he said he was enjoying the boat. White boat with white sails #77765.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey- dont know if its me or not, but when I try to watch this video, it says "This video is unavailable". Any ideas?

You know your a sailor when....
You check the price of "for sale" boats, even though you're not buying one.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Captain.Nemo wrote:
Hey- dont know if its me or not, but when I try to watch this video, it says "This video is unavailable". Any ideas?

Yeah, sorry about that... the song is copyrighted and YouTube restricts the video based on their copyright claim... so it won't play on mobile/tablet platforms... try a full computer and it should work.