Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: other activities?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi to all
I wanted to know what are your other activities cause in winter time we cant all sail with our cats .We have 5 degrees here in Italy .
I go snowboarding the whole winter ,Its very exciting and makes me forget my cat for a while thought!!!
I am student of architecture in Italy and I also love anything about design and cad software .
you????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'll sail year round if the "100 degree" rule is met - air and water temps add up to 100 (it's a rough rule with exceptions).

But when I can't sail, I'll kayak, make beer, go shooting, go camping or work on one of my "race" cars.

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Its good sailing year round down here. Actually we are welcoming the cool winter, its only up to the mid-80's in the daytime now. Down to 78-80 at night, with plenty wind. I think the low last winter was 64 and it only hit that on one day. We were putting windbreakers on to beachcomb!!

September is pretty brutal. Temp gets up in the mid 90's but thats deceptive. The Trade Winds keep the temp down to the mid 90's, but the heat index is over 100. This year was particularly brutal, cause I was building a 24x24 ft. deck here on the island. It was so hot.....I would start a campfire and just lay in it to cool off.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, here in Oklahoma we are kinda strapped for something to do during the winter. We don't have enough snow to ski and we lack the mountains to do that, although I will be heading to Colorado to go skiing.

Me personally I work on boats in the winter. I clean my garage out and start working on stuff. I used to do minor glass work or welding on bass boats for some of the local fishermen. My biggest project was adding a livewell into the bottom of an old powercat bass boat. That keeps me in some extra money and I have learned alot about glass work which has helped in fixing up the old cat.

I am very jealous of you guys that can sail all year round.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

well, we're not sailing here, yet. Looking all over for a used Getaway. Just moved down a year ago and sold just about everything we had in the US. Sold my ultralight aircraft and earmarked the money for a boat. Got given a 17 ft. Boston Whaler powerboat, which is now our inter island commuter. so now that money is going to go for a fun boat. Should have some left over, even, if I work it right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

When not sailing, I'm usually kayaking, especially since I got my new Adventure Island (so I can cheat!). But the inter is coming, and neither the Getaway nor the AI will see the water this week-end (temp is around 60, and I dont dare check the water, moreover it's raining!)

However, if you've got baots, there's always plenty to do. I recently got a small used trailer, and I'm building an aluminum frame on it so that I can carry my Zodiac at the bottom and the kayaks above (I can't muscle the 70lbs of the AI on top of my van by myself). I also need to build a floating dock, and make some small repairs on my Getaway, so I'll be busy for a while.

And when I get tired of boats, books are my passion and I always have stacks of them waiting to be read.