Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trampoline Repair
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have an older trampoline on my H18 that just ripped the other day. A small 3 inch rip. I know that it needs to be replaced in the near future but do not want to deal with it since summer is here and its time to have fun. I am going to try to patch it with some marine grade vinyl and some HH-66 vinyl cement. Hand stitching may add to the strength of the repair but as long as it lasts through the summer I am happy. Everything I have read about the H-66 cement is positive and it is used to repair tarps on dump trucks so it should be fine. Has anyone else used this method on a vinyl tramp before? If so how long did the repair hold up.

Post subject: Re: Trampoline Repair
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We have made repairs to our mesh tramp with U/V resistant thread, a strong needle and my wife's sewing machine, set on zig-zag.

A patch of fabric (underneath the tramp) helped as a backing plate for additional security.
It may look weird, compared to a regular tramp, but functionally, it works just fine.

Anyone else use only glue?
I would suggest glue and stitching....

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't know anything about HH-66, but I've made repairs using vinyl patches (made from both an old tramp and a dry bag) and plain old PVC pipe glue that worked pretty well. I put a patch on top and bottom. I made sure to clean really well before-hand and clamp well afterward. The ~1 1/4 " tear on my current tramp is in a pretty high-stress area and has been patched for over two years with a lot of use. I'm sure the success rate depends a lot on the size and location. Bottom line...it's worth a shot....won't be out much if it fails.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I opted to go without sewing the vinyl and just using the H-66 cement. I tried it on a old scrap of vinyl material from a boat seat first. I could not tear the two apart this stuff is strong. I found some videos that show it even works underwater. I will post the results after a year of sitting exposed in the hot florida sun. So far I am very happy with the repair. I also added some storage pockets to the tramp that turned out nice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFffs0SiAao