Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New (to me) Monocat
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Greetings all. I recently acquired a '74 Monocat. All it's missing is a few already replaced ropes. All the hardware looks to recently replaced and is SS. She even cam with a spare brand new sail, still in the package. I realized I can't car top it, so negotiated a trailer into the asking price. I've been puttering and polishing waiting for the water to warm up and until a friend who sails can show me the basics. I've never sailed and am really hope she floats.

It does appear to be way heavier than the promised 150 pounds. If it is water logged, are they still sail-able? Or safe? Are dehumidifiers or desiccants options? When I look inside the inspection ports, the foam looks nice and white.

I've noticed this boat appears to be Hobie's dirty little secret, the model isn't even listed on their retired model list, or on Wikipedia.

I'm already in the dog house or bringing home a boat, he'll just have to get used to it. :D

Pics here... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154055132128475&l=90edca86d1

Post subject: Re: New (to me) Monocat
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 4:33 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

If you search the forums, you will find quite a bit of information on this boat.

The boat was only made for a short time in the early '70s. It's unusual in that the deck and hull are made from vacu-formed ABS plastic, then joined together with a styrofoam core.

There are two major problems with the boat - it is almost impossible to repair any hull damage and the deck seam leaks - and once the water is in, it is very, very hard to get out, making the boat very much heavier than designed (as you have discovered). This is why Hobie Cat stopped making the boat - it was a warranty nightmare they would just a soon forget about.

There are no good ways to dry the boat out - some have stood the boat on its sterns, propped up against a wall in a dry environment inside during the winter and that has helped - somewhat.

As long as the boat floats, it should still sail reasonably well. I wouldn't take it out when its blowing hard, but for puttering around, it will be fine.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I made the mistake of reading this forum after I brought the boat home. What an odd mistake for a boat builder to make. Tuesday I will be putting it in the water, if the snowstorm has passed. As long as I can try sailing on my own, I'm happy. If it doesn't float, I can always use the trailer for something.

Off to peruse the forums...

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It's official, not only does it float, it's a lot of fun! I have much to learn but for it rigged, sailed, and came back relatively dry. I didn't tip it and am quite happy as the water is still pretty colD. I'm probably going to flip it next time out, on purpose just to make sure I can right it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It is a fun little boat. I bought one years ago for my son. As you discovered (and I did too), they pretty much are all water-logged. My son used it for a few years, then we sold it.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My first sailboat over 30 years ago was a Hobie 12 Monocat! Great idea but lacking in execution. If I remember correctly, the boat is tough to tack like many cats, the centerboard well can get leaky as well as some other spots and also gets waterlogged without a real option to dry it out. Despite the negatives, it was a super fun little boat that had a cool looking sail and easily faster than a Sunfish. If you're on an inland lake, I'd have no hesitation to sail in any/all wind conditions. Have fun!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice to see someone else giving an old hobie 12 some love. My dad and I restored one last summer and had alot of fun getting all that wet foam out from the hulls. I posted a few pics on this forum page. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37786