Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I plan to start sailing on Barnegat Bay, NJ and wonder what (if any) safety gear I need beyond what I take to the lake. At the moment we carry two cell phones in waterproof containers. We have simple GPS apps on them so we can get our location if needed.

I searched and saw posts saying that cell phone coverage is pretty good on the bay, so that is reassuring. There is also a lot of boat traffic at the weekend, so it seems that help would be available if something bad happens.

Do you think I should also carry a handheld VHF? A handheld GPS? Anything else?

If you sail there, what do you carry?

I know you can never have too much safety, but there has to be a line somewhere between buying everything available and taking sensible precautions. I’d like to be sensible but stay within a small budget.

Thanks, Andy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Where are sailing on Barnegat Bay? There is a Hobie regatta this weekend at Shore Acres YC on the north end.

You don't need any special safety equipment to sail on Barnegat Bay. A cell phone or VHF is sensible. The only other thing I would recommend is bug spray and I am serious about that. West wind on Barnegat brings out the mosquitoes.

BTW Barnegat Bay is a great place to sail. You'll find more boat traffic on the north end compared to the south end.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
Where are sailing on Barnegat Bay?

Good question! My in-laws have a place in Bay Head so I am trying to stay close to that area when we're down for the weekend. I found a small ramp in Lavelette Township and bought a permit to use that. I saw some Hobies and other small boats sailing there and it is only 20 mins from Bay Head.

For a day trip from the Philly area, I read that Berkeley Island park has a beach launch (opposite Trixies) and that looks like a nicer area. Then I met a guy at the local lake who says he'll show me some places, but I don't know what he has in mind.

I only just started sailing and have a Wave, so at this point I just want some basic experience with something different from the local lake.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I would encourage you to check out the Division 11 of the Hobie Class http://www.div11.hobieclass.com/ there are a number of Hobie fleets in your area. The Philly fleet sails at Lake Nockamixon and at Trixie's.

I have never launched from Lavelette but have sailed a lot in that area. At the north end, we usually sail from Shore Acres YC which is straight across the bay from Lavelette. I launched many times from Trixie's and we have a regatta there every year. Trixie's is a primitive launch but it's free. There are some people storing their boats at Trixie's marina across the street. Keep in mind Berkley Island Park is still closed pending repairs from Sandy. You can launch there right now but the actual park at the end of the road is closed. We also sail a lot from Spray Beach YC which is at the south end. Spray Beach YC has a Hobie fleet with a bunch of Waves.

SRM also lives in the area and might have some other suggestions.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I carried flares and a hand held VHF radio when I was sailing on Lake Michigan.
Small boat. Big lake.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think a cell phone and/or VHF is a good idea. Hobies are tough boats, but they can still break down. When we race, I travel light, but when we pleasure sail and are more or less alone, I carry extra safety gear. Usually a cell phone, paddle, possibly a water righting bag, a long length of rope (old main sheet) which can be used as a righting line/tow rope. Also some extra food and water as well as spray tops or neoprene layers. I also always have a few spare shackles/pins/small line/pliers on board.

Here is a link to the NJ boaters guide....http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/marine/021606-boating-safety-manual.pdf

sm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for all the replies. I did just order an inexpensive VHF (Uniden Atlantis 270 Submersible VHF Marine Radio) and I already have the other stuff, so I feel OK. Now I just need some skill and experience.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My recommendation, be mindful of the weather. This is not nearly as important on small inland lakes as it is when you get to larger, coastal bodies of water.

For example, on Barnegat bay, our summer pattern frequently has winds from the South (seabreeze). This wind will build throughout the day with light to moderate morning winds often building into the low 20's by mid afternoon. Under these conditions, areas of the bay can develop fairly large (2-4 foot) chop. If you're not prepared to handle your boat in these conditions, it can cause problems (of course once you get more comfortable, you will actually tend to seek out these conditions).

Another bit of advice, the power boats on Barnegat bay are likely to be larger and faster than those you will find on inland lakes. These guys are not always paying attention, they have trouble judging the closing speed of a small catamaran, and many times will not give you way. Keep your head on a swivel and be prepared to alter course if needed.

The bay is a great place to sail and grow your skills, but you also need to be prepared for sailing in somewhat more challenging conditions. Sounds like you're taking the right steps so far.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the good advice. I am pretty conservative in my approach to things, and I do see this as a significant step up from what I have been doing, so I will be cautious. From the shore, I have seen some small clusters of sailboats just milling about and will try to stay in that area at first, figuring that offers some protection from power boaters.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I sail on Barnegat Bay and keep my boat docked at Seaside Park (South of Bay Head). I carry a cell phone and paddle (just incase). My recommendation is to stay East of the channel and you will avoid most of the big boat traffic. Also the bay is shallow (between 6-8 feet except for the channel in most places). If you flip your boat there is a chance you could get your mast stuck in the mud (rarely happens but it happened to a friend of mine two years ago). Might want to keep a tow line with you just incase you need help getting you boat upright.

As mentioned by someone else, the wind generally picks up and is more consistent in the afternoon.

2008 Hobie 16

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks. I do have a 3/8" tow rope. I wasn't sure how strong it needed to be, so mine has a safe working load of 230 lbs, which I hope is good. I went out Sat and Sun early afternoon, for a short time, and the wind was less than I expected. But it was a good introduction and I really enjoyed it. I had a hard time getting away from the ramp - at one point my wind indicator was literally going in circles and my sail was all over the place! Things were much better once I got out a bit.

On Sunday I had a hard time trying to sail north, which was downwind. There was a lot more chop and not much wind, so the boat was getting tossed around and the mast was banging because I had the sail all the way out. No fun at all and I gave that up, and just sailed back and forth across the wind, which was much better. I'm thinking a traveler might help - I assume then I can sheet the sail in and have the traveler out, so the mast is more stable. Just a guess, but it seems like a good investment.

I can't wait to try again.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The chop on barnegat bay can be quite challenging. We had a regatta at Shore Acres last week and the chop was brutal from all of the power boats and the waves reflecting off of the bulkheads turned it into a washing machine. If you have the opportunity to sail sometime Monday thru Friday or outside of the summer season, you will find that the bay is a very pleasurable place to sail. Boat traffic/chop will be almost nil.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hope a tandem island guy can be part of this too. I sailed out of Berkeley Island in the 80's with a hobie 16, and now with my TI. Bug spray is a must. Berkeley is a great spot, the white beach of the park is visible for miles. You don't need much nav gear, just look for the big strip of white and now a white mound on the west shore.
Great place to sail, but the bay is tough on boats. Shattered two rudders with my 16, you get some serious speed and there is stuff floating just below the surface. A few shallow spots too, not a problem with the TI but rudders will kick up at times. The power boaters can be real jerks, crossing the channel sometimes turns into a game of chicken. My only safety gear is an air horn, to wake up the power boaters.
Planning to be there this Saturday, hope to see other hobies out there. Winds will be light but the best wind in the area for the day. If you come out say hello to the old f@rts in the tan TI, we are hobie people too!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

there are a lot of nice exploring areas in the north end of the bay. Kettle Creek near Shore Acres, Silver Bay is next to the south. If you go south of the Toms River causeway you also have the Toms River to sail in.

and these guys are not kidding about powerboaters, some of them are outright dangerous. keep a keen watch.

as a footnote, be cautious is shoal areas as there was an awful lot of debris washed into the bay from Hurricane Sandy and not all of it has been recovered.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Barnegat bay is great, i sail out of Harvey Cedars , sunset park to be exact, the Harvey Cedars marina guys are great, check them out some time http://www.harveycedarsmarina.com/