Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all
Where do you launch your hobies?
I wanted to buy one last year but due to lack of launch sites I gave up. We bought trailer nearby and spend all summers on the lake but I am sad as Lake Huron is georgeous for sailing but very limited when it comes to launching.
On Lake Ontario one can go to either Missisauga or Oakville sailing club but on Lake Huron Nada - nothing. Please if anyone knows where I would be eternally great full.
Thanks
G man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I googled it and saw a Village of Bayfield marina. Is that near you? It has a channel, which is a pain in the neck; that's why I have a small motor on my Hobie, to get out of channels. It also appears on Google Maps to have a beach off the parking lot. You might be able to launch off a trailer onto beach wheels onto the lake.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks Dorien
that channel does looks worrisome. Its exactly near me where we stay all summer long.
beach is near however all chains and it does look like they don't want you there and they posted many signs no boat launch swimmers only.
When i called municipality they repeated the same.
What kind of motor do you have? is it electric? how did you hook it up?
that is interesting idea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have the Torqeedo 1003. It's an electric, with an onboard battery. I have a Cheeta motor mount.
I like the motor-plenty of power, reliable, instant on, don't have to have gas onboard, waterproof in a capsize. It's pricey, though.
There are several threads on motors on Hobies. The Cheeta mount seems to be the most popular way to mount a motor. Most people opt for small (2 hp or so) gasoline outboards, but I grew up with fussy outboard motors and I hate them. I expect the ones built now are more reliable than the ones in the 1960's though!
I know some people use trolling motors, but then you have the external battery problem. I had a Thistle daysailer that I used a trolling motor on; I used an automotive "jump start" battery to power it. Self-contained and relatively light; gave me enough power to get in and out of harbor.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks. i will look into it. kind of dy on money for boating stuff as wife will shoot me.
do you think 200 meteres through the river is doable with full sails. Apparently there is some current going out to the lake huron..
it might be pain coming back. Public ramp is by the fisherman boat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sailing up a channel depends on prevailing wind direction, how wide the channel is, how quick and well you can tack...
I have done it many times, but sometimes and some channels are much more difficult than others.
I've gotten lazy so the motor makes it easier for me. I'm sure my sailing skills are degrading.
You may be able to paddle in or out, also. I always carried a paddle before, and had to paddle in more than once when the wind completely died. The main reason I bought my motor is I was sailing on Lake Michigan and didn't want to get caught miles away with no wind.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you have a light wind morning, you an always paddle up the channel. Once the boat is in the water, have you considered a Mooring Ball? If allowed, drop an anchor or block of cement with a float and a line off of the float. Use Poly line as it floats. Use a line bridle off of both bows with a snap shackle, this will allow you to release under load if needed. I would not leave the boat unattended for long, but you can also use a kayak or Stand up Paddle board (old windsurfer) to paddle out and back. This way you can "use" the swimming beach while compiling with local rules.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great suggestions, tanka hammond and dorien