Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie 14 jib
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have recently bought an old HC 14 Turbo.
I just bought a new jib from a dealer. I was told this was a standard jib as a wanted and not a furling jib.

However, As opposed to my old jib this seems to be a furling jib since it has the strong wire in the luff end (to replace the forestay) and has no clips to attach to the existing forestay.

My question is: can I use this furling jib when it does not attach to the forestay? Or will it be too slack and "bag" ? Or perhaps if a tighten to much the robe part of the halyard and the cleat on the mast will carry the weight that the existing forestay usually carries ?

I do have the kit for making a furling jib but I do not want that since I would then have to leave the jib on the boat which has the mast up all season. I prefer taking the sails down

Thanks in advance

Kristian, Denmark

Post subject: Re: Hobie 14 jib
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It sounds like you can and should rig it like a Hobie 16, where as you say, the wire luff "replaces" the forestay holding the pressure. The Hobie 16 uses a 3-1 purchase either at the top of the sail or on the mast near the cleat. This 3-1 is required to take the load off of the cleat. If placed at the top of the sail, it takes a lot of line, but lowers the load on the mast.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

A 14t as I know it has a furling jib, and the wire in the jib luff does act as the forestay. The bridle and forestay are completely different form a unirig 14. A 14t also has no jib halyard as a 16 does. Are sure that you are not trying to run the jib on the unirig rigging? Are you sure the boat is a 14?

Dave

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:10 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

There have been a lot of different jib systems made for the Hobie 14, since the original boat didn't have one.

The Hobie Cat class-legal jib is made to be used as a furling jib and left on the boat as long as the mast is up. You can purchase a snorkle, raised with the main halyard, to cover the furled jib with the mast up.
Alternatively, you can rig a halyard system, similar to a Hobie 16, where the luff wire in the jib replaces the forestay when sailing. It's not class legal, but that's usually not a problem.

A third alternative is to have a zipper luff jib like the Hobie 18. That's more complicated, and won't work with the jib that you have.