Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if a Hobie/Holder One 14' has a self bailing cockpit?

I see in the owner's manual that when under sail in heavy air/seas Hobie recommends removing the cockpit drain plug. And states that the cockpit is self bailing. But that implies underway.

I am curious if I can leave this boat on a mooring (an hour away from home) with the cockpit drain plug removed and not have the boat sink!

I will not be able to drive to the boat after every rain, nor do I want to have to worry about a battery/bilge pump.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is the drain opening above the water line on the outside of the boat. If the drain opening is above the water line, it would take a huge amount of water to fill up the boat before as long as the water was able to be drained out of the drain opening. I had self bilging on my Oday but got a call from the State park in a heavy rain event that caused lots of water issues with other boats at the marina, that I should get down to my boat ASAP to address the excess water in the boat. Perhaps they called everyone on the list to tell them about the water excess rain event to give them a heads up to come and have a look at their boat. I got there and it wasn't that bad and it's been to long ago to remember how full the self bilge area in the stern was under water if any. I had a 4 HP Mercury engine mounted to the stern so that may have become an issue if the excess water wasn't able to drain quick enough causing the boat to be stern heavy.
Food for thought. Go to Holder.com and contact them. Post what they say.
Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:49 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

upstairsdave wrote:
Go to Holder.com and contact them. Post what they say.

Quote:
www.holder.com
Service Unavailable

HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable.

Apparently, they don't have much to say.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Holder 12 had the cockpit drain thru the transom (above the water line). We kept ours in a wet slip with the plug removed and never had a problem. If I recall, we could also pop out the plug while under way to drain the cockpit if needed. I can't say for certain that the Holder 14 is the same way, but I highly suspect it would be.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:26 pm 
Site Admin

You could leave on a mooring with the cockpit drain open. When people are in the boat that drain is below or can be below waterline, so water would get in... therefore the take out while moving text.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Matt and all,

That is good news.

Several people I contacted through Hobie/Holder 14 craigslist postings could not answer the question. Reckon if you are trailer sailing you just might not know.

But I did finally get a reply from someone who left their Hobie 14 on a mooring and they said "yes, it is self bailing while on the mooring".

Upstairsdave brings up a great point I had not thought about. If I were to possibly get a small motor for it that could put the drain plug below the water line. Of course, depending on the weight of the motor.

After more research, I am going to wait for the Hobie One to pop up on CL. I prefer the centerboard to the daggerboard. just waiting for the right one, with the right paperwork for the trailer…and hopefully without the horrible sail colors! Or the right price so I can afford to get new, plain white sails...

Mike