Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to sailing
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello! I'm new to sailing. Two weeks ago I purchased a Hobie 16 "Spirit of '76" model and Skipper B trailer modified for a catamaran. According to the paperwork, all the way back to the original Hobie deal, I'm the 4th owner. The most recent owner had her for about 10 years. He used her for about a year and then stored her in his barn for the last 9. In my opinion she's in good shape for $500.

There is a soft spot on the starboard deck and the keels need redoing, but I should be able to recreationally sail her for the rest of the summer. I'll do a total hull job this winter; fix soft spot(s), keel job, possibly add viewing ports to each hull, build up connection points, re gel coat both hulls, add model appropriate stripes and flag decals.

I've already replaced all the lines and reworked the rudders. There are several tears in the tramp I'm hoping to make temporary repairs on until I can replace it in the spring.

I plan on fixing her back up to near original shape. Our plans are to sail her around the lakes and along the beaches just south of us, on the Gulf of Mexico. We'd also like to bring her on vacations over to Florida and to visit family on the upper east coast. I don't plan on racing her, but we'll see.

I'll add some pics when I figure out how to do it.

Post subject: Re: New to sailing
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use Tapatalk to post pics.