Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We have just moved to FL and I am going to look at a Prindle 16 tomorrow that's for sale off Craigslist. I asked the seller the age of the Cat and he says he is not sure, which makes me think he doesn't have the title. I believe in FL you have to have a 16 footer titled and registered but I wanted to be sure, in case he claims he doesn't have it, so I know if I should walk away. :?

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You will have to research the laws in Florida (call the gov't office - they are there to help you :wink: usually sailboats 16 feet are not required to be titled), and it might come down to what you think of the seller - is there proof he had the boat for a long time, stable residence, etc. to make a determination if the boat is legit.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

supgirl2277 wrote:
We have just moved to FL and I am going to look at a Prindle 16 tomorrow that's for sale off Craigslist. I asked the seller the age of the Cat and he says he is not sure, which makes me think he doesn't have the title. I believe in FL you have to have a 16 footer titled and registered but I wanted to be sure, in case he claims he doesn't have it, so I know if I should walk away. :?

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks!

Florida title and registration are Not required for boats less than 18 ft. in length. The exception is when they have a motor.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I believe that to be exempt from registration and titling, a nonmotorized vessel (beach cat) must be less than 16 feet. Florida changed the laws a few years ago. It seems that most people with 16 foot cats ignore the revised rule. And, I've never heard of anyone getting fined for that either.

https://www.flhsmv.gov/safety-center/consumer-education/vessel-registration-titles/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I live here and there are lots of cats in sarasota, (all sizes), the only ones with registration numbers on them are the ones with motors.
No motor, no problem.
If you do plan to add a motor you will need to apply for a new title similar to what you would do on a homebuilt boat (I have built several).
The HID system is only a recent system, and doesn't apply to home built or really old stuff that has been restored.
Your situation is pretty common.
FE