Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sorry for the newbie question but I'm a lake sailor who visits salt water maybe once a year. How much washing and rinsing needs to be done of the trailer, the boat, sails, lines, hardware, and other equipment to prevent damage from the salt water?

This is on a Wave and lauching off the trailer via a boat ramp, so trailer does gets wet.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rinse all the stainless steel. No need to go nuts and hose for minutes...just enough to sluice. Rinse the joint on the halyard between rope and wire, rinse the cup at the mast end and ball on the beam and the jib cleats and mainsheet. Rinse the stainless at the beam ends. Hose off the trailer paying particular attention to the hitch, the trailer jack and the wheels (inside and out). If you have a watercooled motor, immerse the prop in a bucket and run for a few minutes (ensure you see water jetting out).

Should take about 10 minutes.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks. Sounds easy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In particular, you want to rinse anywhere that a stainless steel component is in direct contact with aluminum (such as rivets on the mast). When stainless steel and aluminum are in direct contact and salt water is introduced, galvanic corrosion will occur which attacks the aluminum. The objective when rinsing the boat is to get all of the salt water out of each crevice where aluminum and stainless steel are touching one another.

The salt can also leave a hazy film all over the boat, so it's good to knock as much of this off as possible. The salt can also damage the sail by allowing corrosion to develop around the metal fittings (grommets, reinforcement plates, etc.), especially if the sails are put away wet. It's good to rinse the sails if possible, but always be sure you sails are put away dry.

For the trailer, if you're only dunking it in salt water once per year, then it's probably not a big deal, but the salt will break down the grease in your wheel bearings, so you should check them more frequently. Depending on the design/material of your trailer frame, the salt can also damage the trailer by rusting/corroding the frame, particularly if the salt water is trapped in the frame (i.e., if the frame is a "box" frame). It's a good idea to rinse the trailer with fresh water as well, or just avoid dunking it all together.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Awesome especially surfing, sailing in warm salt water,but will end up eating up your equipment,rinse everything,especially if you flip it!.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I sail my H16 in saltwater a couple of times a week, although I do not put the trailer in the water.

Afterwards, I stop at a do-it-yourself car wash and with their high pressure wand in 4 minutes ($2.00), rinse off the boat, trailer and car.

If you have a telescoping tiller, make sure you rinse it when fully extended.

I rinse off the main sail's gooseneck, but not the sails since they would not dry in my trailer's toy box.

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL