Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dagger Board question
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Does anyone here sail with the dagger boards only partially inserted? I am considering a nacra 5.2 I have only sailed Hobies without Dagger boards. Just wondering if at times I could sail with the boards partially down when water is shallow. To bad someone hasn't devised a self retracting daggerboard.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On H18's we do this all the time when launching/landing from the beach, no big deal.
We also raise the daggers when running.

The Tiger and Wildcat and F18's also raise/lower, however their requirements are more stringent due to higher loads and thinner/longer boards.
The Wildcat has an amazing system to raise/lower the daggers, called an 'upf#*ker' which is basically a halyard for the daggers.

Raising and lowering should be done carefully, as the 'corners' of the dagger-board trunk are vulnerable....don't ask how I know.

Go to the Club and buy some beers for the F18 crowd, they'll be happy to tell you all their dagger stories.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have pivoting daggerboards on my Hobie 18 (like on the Hobie Pearl). No problem at all.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Pivioting daggerboards? How did u retrofit them?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie has (had) several models of catamarans with self-retracting dagger boards (actually centerboards). The Hobie 17 and 21 as well as several other models only offered in Europe.

Note, the difference between a dagger board and a centerboard is a dagger board slides up and down in the trunk whereas a centerboard pivots backwards which allows it to kick up if it hits an obstruction.

There are also plenty of other manufactures that make catamarans with centerboards (Mystere 6.0, Tornado, Prindle 18-2 & 19 are a couple that come to mind).

You can certainly sail with dagger boards partially retracted, but if you sail in consistently shallow water, I wouldn't recommend this because the dagger board sticking out of the top of the deck will be a constant nuisance. Also, if the dagger board slips down in the trunk, it will hit bottom and you will damage the board or the boat. If you plan to sail in consistently shallow water, then a boat with centerboards, skegs, or asymmetrical hulls is a better option. But also consider that if the water is too shallow, you will end up kicking up your rudders which can be just as big if not a bigger problem.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, I guess I better become proficient with Daggerboards because I just Purchased the Nacra 5.2. Yay!!!!