Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Single-hander trimarans
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi everyone-

I've been sailing H16 and H14 for about 8 years now. The other day I tried out a (non-Hobie) Windrider 17 trimaran. I found it incredibly easy to sail single-handed, with jib sheets, mainsheet, jib furler, rudder pedals all in the rear cockpit. Also, while fast on the water, it seems very resistant to tipping over or pitchpoling. That made me think of getting one, so I can take the kids out without needing them to help out and without worrying about them being tossed into the water.

Question for the list: are there other trimarans which I should consider? I'm looking for that combination of fast, fun, single-handed and very little chance of the kids going into the water.

Thanks everyone

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you want to stay hobie there is always the TI. If you're not tied to hobie, corsair makes a 19' trailerable trimaran called the pulse 600.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:12 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

There's the Weta, too. Although I've heard they're not as fast as they look.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, keep the suggestions coming.

Are these other boats as easily single-handed as the Windrider? Are they as resistant to capsizing/pitchpoling/turtling? (I'm thinking about something to take the kids out on).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As an owner of a Hobie 16, AI, TI, Windrider 17 and a Weta, I can tell you that overall the H16 and Weta are the fastest of the lot under most conditions. The 16 will walk away from the Weta upwind or if there is serious chop, but the Weta is faster downwind under the 3rd headsail and turns much, much quicker than the 16. On a short course or where you need to do a lot of tacking or jibing, the Weta can hold its own with the 16, or better. On longer courses or much chop, the 16's greater length easily gives it the edge. Regardless, the Weta would not be my choice for a family boat at least compared to either the TI or the Windrider 17. You don't have to sail it hard, of course, but I don't find it much fun when sailed slow. It will do 20 knots under the right conditions, and 15 to 16 knots is almost automatic if the wind is between 14 and 20.

Both the Weta and the H16 are fairly easily capsized and/or pitchpoled if you aren't careful in higher winds.

The Windrider 17 has the widest operating range of any of them. I suppose you could consider it the most futuristic of the lot, with its cockpit controls (not unlike the TriFoiler in that regard) and ability to tackle big chop and big wind without leaving the cockpit. It'll also carry quite a few people - easily two and I've had 4 adults out and there was still plenty of room. Only downside I find with it is pointing ability, which isn't spectacular. An asymmetrical spinnaker is available for it as an option for downwind sailing. It's a tremendous boat, as you would expect coming from the mind of Jim Brown. Sure you can capsize it, but it would take a lot to do it. It's just a great boat.

The Tandem Island is about the most versatile boat on the market. It won't carry the same load as the Windrider but you're right down on the water, can take out two adults and maybe a small child, or two, and with the mirage drive you have an option that no other small sailboat offers. I've often said that if I could only have one sailboat, I'd have to keep the TI. There is nothing else that can be camped from, fished on, sailed fast (reasonably) and has so many options such as sail furling to match conditions, ease of transport and set-up and... fun.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ditto everything Tom says.

Other tris to consider are used Corsairs (you probably can get a good used one for 3X the cost of a new WR17 though). Astus Tris (also VERY expensive compared to WR17). WR17 is a good boat for the price--finding a used one is often problematic. Some other small tris are Multi 23, Searail 19 and CHS X19...but some of these don't really exist except in ones or twos-never had much production (labor involved in making a small tri isn't much different from making a large one even though materials might be half). WR17 doesn't point well which you will probably find frustrating (doesn't point as well as your 16 or 14). Sitting in one position during the sail can become difficult for some people-especially those used to being able (required) to move around.

If you want a more family friendly cat, consider the Getaway. It performs about the same as the WR17, will probably feel a lot like the 16 you are used to (a bit less quick). It is heavier and stays on its feet better-the bench seats are great substitutes for hiking. Easy to single hand--difficult to capsize.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I sail the Hobie Getaway. I came to this boat after a H16, H14, and H17. Last summer picked up an Adventure Island Tandem also, thinking it would be a fun addition. The Getaway is far easier to manage and sail. It is also faster and has more capacity. I ended up selling the AI. For its capacity, I find it heavy and awkward. As a sail boat it is fun, but a little slow and wet. As a Kayak it is super heavy. The coolest feature is the ability to furl the sail and go fishing.