Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If I am looking for a beach boat I can pull up without wheels but will hold many ppl for or myself and a friend, 500+ total crew.

21 sounds like it might be a fit, but how good of a boat could i get in 2007? And since it is not a racer like a M20, can I espect more wear on them from owners looking to do the same thing I want to do versus a racer were the boat has been taken care of well?

-William

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Take a look at the Getaway on the Hobie website. It might be the ticket for you.

Post subject: M20
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

M20 = Marstrom 20
H20 = Hobie Miracle 20

There are quite a few 21 laying around, and they are massive boats! You may also want to check into the hobie 18sx or 18 magnum.

1998 H16 102698
www.sunjammers.com ftw!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm 265 +, sail a hobie 20 for fun, got tired of sinking my 16 because of my fat *&^, Get a 20 it floats and will fly even with weight aboard, been out on mine with 3 other adults, over 600 lbs and other than being crowded it was a blast. Get a cat trax or some such to care for the hulls and enjoy a great boat! Yep I know it has lots of lines to pull but that adds to the fun. I don't race only use mine for day sailing and its a hoot. Try one and enjoy. John

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That is just about what I want to do as well JohnFrmTx. I have had some ppl tell me i am looking for the wrong boat for the gulf coast beach, they say the 20 hulls can not withstand all the on shore turning and pulling up without tracks. I am told to go more the 21 or 19 rought.

Your thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would agree the hulls are the weak link for using this as a beach cat. We sail on a lake in Texas, tried the slide it up on the shore using pvc pipe and heard cracking went to my local dealer bought a cat trax or euro trax can't remember which one, but that solved the potential hull damage problem. This tool also makes unloading it from the trailer much easier for my wife and myself. As big as I am the boat doesn't seem to notice me, which is great for me, a puff comes and this thing takes off. We sailed 16's since the 80's, just day sailers, but as the age and the mass increase the 16 lost its zip. Found a used on in the paper one day, talked to my local Hobie dealer and he thought this boat would solve my "flotation" concerns and be lots of fun. It is a very tuneable boat, but it doesn't take a rocket scientest to get this thing going plenty quick. I probably couldn't scatter much even in the C fleet (if they have one for these boats) but its a hoot for us. I don't do cold - so let it warm up and come to Dallas and try this one yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:44 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
H20 is not the best boat for you, a getaway is the best followed by the h18. the getaway may look like a toy but it is easy to use and a blast to sail, I have customers in Panama City Beach who have both H16's and getaways, the H16's have not left the beach in about 2 years!. I don't think you would move a H21 around w/o wheels, and a H20 would not last long if you didn't have wheels. H20's had a problem with hulls breaking early on when to much weight was carried, I think we had 2 1994 hulls snap locally, they had about 425lbs on the boat each time. I've been reading your post and it sounds like a Hobie getaway is the best boat to fit all your needs!

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So, was the question answered? When was the last year they made the H21?

Happy Sailing,

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

DavidBell47 wrote:
So, was the question answered? When was the last year they made the H21?

Happy Sailing,

David

Well, it was up on the Hobie website until at least 2005 (http://www.hobiecat.com/sailing/models_21sc.html) so it must have been in production until '03 or '04 and they were selling out remaining stock until 05. Just a guess though.

Weight of a 21SC is 600lbs - if you can pull that up on the beach, more power to you.

http://www.div4.hobieclass.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with Brad. Sounds like the Getaway would suit your needs well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

What kind of 21 could you get today? Last April I drove 600 miles and bought a 97' 21 SC that had been garage kept and never beached. There was barely a scratch on the bottom of the hulls. The guy even had a brand new, still in the package, forward tramp.

I wish I could say it's still unblemished:::(((

As far as the weight, yeah it's heavy, but don't let that scare you. I don't know if it's really 600 pounds though. I have yet to figure out where the extra weight is compared to the 21SE. It's not in the cabin...

If you put your mind to it I'm sure you can over come that issue anyway. Someone suggested bringing a winch...may not need one if you disconnect the main sheet block and use it with a stake. You just need to get it up off the sand. PVC pipe, plastic deck wood strips or other would all work. I'm convinced you could move a mountain with PVC pipe.

You could also get these and stack them up on each side and make a "low boy" if you don't need to move it far.

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Tough-Plastic-Whe ... dZViewItem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

There are two 21's. The older one, 21SE, has telescoping crossbars so the boat canbe expanded to a 9 1/2' beam. That requires a special trailer to expand the hulls out and makes launching from the trailer a more involved job. It also has a 32' mast, no picnic to raise from the trailer but I do it with my wife using a gin pole and the trailer winch, and no forward tramp or motor mount brackett. I have an '88. I'm not sure but I think they stopped making them around '89. I use mine for cruising but they were built for racing with a crew of three and they are fast. I sail mine with wife only so we need to be conservative, I can't fall off the boat and capsizing is not an option. We love this boat as it is quality made and very durable yet fast. I like the swing centerboards vs. the daggers. I have added larger bomar type hatches for easier storage of coolers and such, a forward tramp, and outboard brackett with 2 hp Honda.
The newer 21 is the 21SC (sportcruiser) and is much more oriented for cruising. It has fixed 8 1/2" beam and a shorter mast on the same hulls. It has a forward tramp, motor bracket and a fibreglass deck box accross the forward crossbar for storage. It is meant to be sailed by two. Nice boat, much easier to trailer launch but nowhere near as fast as a 21SE.