Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey everyone. I'm looking at getting my first CAT in the next month, which will also be my first boat. My Exp... I spent some time on lasers and such back in the summer of 2000, while stationed in Germany. I'm down here in the Annapolis/ Baltimore region and looking for someone to take me under their wing a couple of times to help me get my sea legs back. I'm looking at getting a Getaway, which meets the need of holding my entire family, wife, and 2 kids(12 and 13) good swimmers. I was looking at lessons but they are pretty expensive for minimal time on the water, and I haven't found any that deal specifically with CATs. So I'm primarily looking for someone in the area to help me out a day or 2. Any other guidance would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd recommend to talk with the dealer - they're on the water in Annapolis and can help you out with the Getaway and I'm sure get a lesson locally

BACKYARD BOATS
ANNAPOLIS, MD 21403
1-410-983-6637

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I had even less experience than you when I bought a Wave. I took a lesson at http://coastalkayak.com/sailboats/sailboat/. I think they have the option of using a Wave with a jib, which still won't be exactly the same but it's closer. I felt that it was worth the money to get me started.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dawkfan75 wrote:
Hey everyone. I'm looking at getting my first CAT in the next month, which will also be my first boat. My Exp... I spent some time on lasers and such back in the summer of 2000, while stationed in Germany. I'm down here in the Annapolis/ Baltimore region and looking for someone to take me under their wing a couple of times to help me get my sea legs back. I'm looking at getting a Getaway, which meets the need of holding my entire family, wife, and 2 kids(12 and 13) good swimmers. I was looking at lessons but they are pretty expensive for minimal time on the water, and I haven't found any that deal specifically with CATs. So I'm primarily looking for someone in the area to help me out a day or 2. Any other guidance would be appreciated.

You say you were stationed in Germany which implies a military connection. If still active or retired, you may have access to military recreation facilities near Annapolis (Mill Creek) where they offer lessons and rental boats (unlikely to be cats, but it doesn't make that much difference).

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II