Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

so what way do I load the furler, looking from the top does the line go in clockwise or counterclockwise? Can I change the line without removing the furler? What line does one use and how many feet of line do I need? Mine is a hobie 17

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:36 am 
Site Admin

Furlers use LINE RH018WHT X 18'

Clockwise when looking down on the furler.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hello
i just picked up a hobie 18 and have a few questions.

1- Main- on top of mast there is a type of hook latch. does the main halyard latch on that and how does it unlatch?
2- Jib has roller furling. how does that set up? seems like the halyard would wrap around the stay?
3- my spreader doesnt have any plastic or teflon on the end where the diamond go thru. seems like that would chaf and wear the wires. its an older cat i guess.

i had an old prindle 16 years ago and looking at this setup before i go out and flip with the wife onboard and never sail again.

Anyone in So Calif that has one, id be happy to hear from you and maybe meet to see how you set yours up.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

1) Yes, the head of the mainsail latches on the hook at the top of the mast. There should be a 2" diameter (give or take) stainless steel ring attached to the end of the halyard. The mainsail shackles to this ring and once hoisted, the ring engages onto the hook. There is a FAQ on this site as well as numerous discussions in the forums about how to make the system work effectively.

2) The halyard will not wrap around the forestay. The halyard should be lead down through the luff pocket of the jib and cleated off on the cleat mounted to the jib tack. The lower forestay swivels so the whole jib, halyard, and forestay turn together.

3) Hobie sells vinyl "boots" that can be installed over the spreader ends. There are also plastic rollers that can be installed. Another option is to wrap the ends with electrical tape or rigging tape. Use something for sure to protect the jib.

sm