Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Greetings from Tasmania! I have a question regarding European Hobies.
I currently own the first and only getaway in Tasmania, I love the boat but want something bigger and faster, and similar in design. I have noticed overseas there is a design called the hobie pacific. Almost looks like a getaway and looks to be a super boat. Will these be available in australia anytime soon, I am sure I am not the only one interestsed in the pacific. My next question is how long before a spinnaker for the getaway is available, which has been asked numerous times by other owners, I'm just adding some pressure to the factory to make one!
And finally, the earlier getaways have a mainsail that is different to the ones out now. It has a batten right at the foot of sail and a different colour pattern. They feature on the getaway construction video sailing on a small inlet? What is the design called and are they available in Australia?
From the mad cat sailor at Strahan Catamaran Hire down under in Tasmania..

Post subject: Aurtralia
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:15 am 
Site Admin

I will ping our Australia facility for you... see if they can answer any additional questions. You can also access their site directly at www.hobiecat.com.au

The Hobie Pacific is an older design from Hobie Cat Europe. Not one we are planning to build in the USA.

The Getaway sail design (batten layout) has always been the same here. Hobie Cat Europe builds their own sails for our Getaway hulls, so perhaps they have something different you may have seen.

Spinnaker? Due to the forward trampoline and low bridle wires, we have not developed a specific spinnaker for the Getaway. The Hobie 16 spinnaker set is shown in these forums to work. There are many threads on how to adapt it.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Gday,

At this point in time, we have no plans to import the Hobie Pacific from Hobie Cat Europe due to older design and import cost factors.

As for spin kits for the Getaway, well the boats design really does not suit however some are adding H16 kits with mods.

I will look into this more (about a Getaway kit). Please stay in touch with the Aus factory at: [email protected]

Hobie Cat Australasia