Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

H17 Sport Newbie here. She's a beauty, 1995 crossover year. Previous owner made plenty "Upgrades" which make the manual almost useless for me, including a "racing " squaresail, eliminating the downhaul? with 2 lines to sheaves attached to the foot of sail through mini sheave/pulleys. And removed all the cleats from the mast.?? That, compiled with the pre/post 1995 info in the manual about the boom/boomlet/boomless options have me stymied, along with a dozen other things, including screwing an eye into the Comp tip (to assist raising the mast?) with ferrous screws, causing some crazing/shattering due to strain/corrosion :oops: Thank goodness I crewed a H16 last month up in Monroe, and a couple races on a Hunter 27, giving me a little perspective. So that's the background info. The first confusion/question: I have a comp tip. The manual clearly shows the main halyard going down through the mast. Is that possible with a comp tip?. My reading the forums leads me to believe not. The mast came to me with the "tag" end routed inside the sail luff track, and comments here (from Matt Miller, no less) describe it as such. For the life of me, I cannot picture how the mainsail can be raised that way, so we pulled it out and threaded the mainsail in the track, and salvaged a "first sail" in light winds. Can someone please clarify this for me? Plenty more confusion, but we'll start here, hope to figure out pic posting. -tx- Henry- the ScowHound

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:08 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The halyard does indeed run inside the sail track and exits through the casting at the mast base, through the center sheave.

The original idea was that you stand behind the boat to raise the sail, however that is impractical when you're by yourself. If you've got a 3-piece tramp, you can route the end of the halyard through the lacings, straight down, then forward under the front crossbeam. That way, you can pull and feed at more-or-less the same time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

tx for info. My Hunter Capt. came over to take a look, and we figured out a bunch. Never saw a luff track share a halyard before tho. I like the idea of coming forward under the crossbar.. ttyl