Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anchor a hobie cat
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi every one, has anybody tried to carry a grapnel or small anchor to anchor the hobbie to the bottom and go swimming or snorkeling around like in a normal boat? May be is a stupid question but I am really new and I dont know if this is possible. Y have a hobie getaway and a couple of hatches but may be the anchor would damage them with the movment. Thank you all.

Post subject: Re: Anchor a hobie cat
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm sure you could do it. BUT...have you ever anchored a boat before? Did you notice that the anchor comes back up with a lot of the bottom at the same time? Your tramps would be a mess if you brought all that gunk on board. You are likely to tear the tramps if the anchor has any sort of edge. Even with all sails down the boat has decent windage and it weighs 400 pounds...so to keep it in one spot you'd need at least an 8 pound anchor and about 12 feet of chain plus whatever scope of line for the depth and likely need to bridle to keep it from sailing back and forth and becoming unanchored. You'd also have to store all that.

I'd probably opt for picking a spot that is shallow enough so I could dive to the bottom and tie/anchor to something down there already.

Best bet, though, is to tie to something on shore or just beach. It is, after all, a beach cat.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

First time poster here. Got a 2017 getaway a few months ago. Yes, absolutely. We do it. I got a 5 pound folding anchor (like the 3 pounder that hobie sells). Pull it up from on the front tramp, swish it off & put it in a canvas tool bag I got at Home Depot & bungie it to the tramp lacing behind the mast. The kids & I have a blast diving off the wings etc. We just uncleat the main, roll up the jib in & make sure someone is on board at all times cause it can take off. If we were going to snorkel I would drop the main.

Steve C

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've been using Hobie's small grapnel anchor for my Wave. One of my launches spots here in Tampa Bay is pretty rocky. With a set of beach wheels and the anchor, the boat never touches the ground. It's also handy for sailing up to some of our barrier islands that have rocky shore lines rather than sand. My anchor is only 3 1/2 pounds. I believe Hobie sells them primarily for kayak use. Of course, you would need to get a size appropriate for your boat. While grapnel anchors are not for long term use, it seems to work well on my Wave. The bottom I've used it in is usually made up of mud sand or weeds. So far I haven't noticed any slippage really once it's set properly.

With a catamaran I think it is important to use a bridle in the anchor line. I fashioned one from the line that comes with the anchor and use a pair of carabiner clips to attach to the bows. When I'm finished with it I dunk it a few times to rinse it off, fold it up and put it back in the bag on the tramp ready for the next time. It's handy and quite simple really.

FWIW

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've got the same setup as Steve C. Get a 6 to 9 pound Danforth anchor, at least 10 feet of heavy-ish (maybe 3/8 or 1/2) chain, and enough line to give you at least a 4 to 1 ratio of line to anchor depth. The chain keeps the anchor from lifting and acts as a shock absorber for wave action. I have a heavy canvas bag too.
We don't all have beaches to run up on!

Too many canoes and kayaks