Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Like the subject header says- planning ahead best way to store my H17 outside. Occurs to me, I have a north side garage wall that would accommodate my Hobie stood on transom ends, with a little overhang that would keep most the weather off her. I would support the ends on some high density foam blocks and strap the hulls to the wall. This would assure no standing/freezing water in the wing tubes and hulls also. Any thoughts on why not to do it?
-tx-Scow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The hulls should be strong enough for this, just not sure how you would go about safely getting the boat stood up in this position. I think you would probably need a crane of some sort. We're not talking about a huge amount of weight, but it is large and awkward, and if it got away from you, it would get ugly real quick. Might be less of a headach to just disassemble the boat and store inside the garage.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good point. Maybe separate the hulls from crossbars, send tramp and wings out for re-sewing. Could stand the hulls up individually then if I need to still be outside. From what i'm reading, the dis/assembly is just a few bolts, and I guess many folks take the tramp off for storage anyway. Should I anticipate trouble separating, as she's been together since '95? She may have seen salt a time or 2 as she spent time in North Carolina.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Taking it apart should not be difficult as long as the crossbar bolt heads are not stripped. Usually these boats get looser with age, not tighter. Unlace the tramp, take out the four crossbar bolts, and slide the hulls apart. It's easier with a helper, but not entirely necessary.

sm