Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The mast interferes with putting SUPs on the roof, so I figured it would be easy to just strap them on top of the Wave while trailering it. Does anyone have a neat solution for that? It's not as easy as I thought. Our SUPs are wide - my wife's yoga SUP is 34" - and they don't fit in any obvious way.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How about strapped to the trailer, under the boat.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I was trying to avoid that because I usually have beach wheels and other stuff under there, but if I'm using a ramp, maybe that is an option. It would be a PITA to get them in and out when the boat is on the trailer but maybe I can figure something out. I was surprised that nothing showed up on Google.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I tow with a 2006 Nissan Quest and had a SUP on the roof this weekend and had plenty of clearance for the mast. I also tried putting the roof pad tie downs on the trampoline. The board was a 10 ft board and it hung off the rear crossbar a bit but was doable.
When hauling a board, it helps to have the stern of the board at the front of the vehicle and the strap placed just behind the fin. This way, if something does loosen up, the fin will be against the strap and hopefully keep the board from sliding off the vehicle.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hmm... I don't think I could clear with my car, which is quite a bit shorter (CX-5) but I'll take another look.

Just FYI, I mount the boards the other way on the grounds that pretty much any vehicle can generate close to 1G when doing a full ABS stop, but I doubt that I'm getting 1G due to wind. I am hoping that the fin will stop the board flying forward if I need to do an emergency stop. I think either approach has merits. Shame we don't have a fin on each end!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

leecea wrote:
I was trying to avoid that because I usually have beach wheels and other stuff under there, but if I'm using a ramp, maybe that is an option. It would be a PITA to get them in and out when the boat is on the trailer but maybe I can figure something out. I was surprised that nothing showed up on Google.

how about tying your beach wheels on top of your hulls, just forward of the front crossbar. That way you can fit the board underneath. Have done that a number of times with 14s and 16s

2001 H16E (European Boat) Sail #108348 Cabo
1991 H14T
2006 Bravo (sold)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

That's an interesting idea - I didn't think of that. I'll do some playing around with options and see what makes sense.

Thanks everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I case anyone comes upon this thread later and wonders how it ended, here are a couple of notes from this weekend:

1. Yes, there does look like there is enough clearance to put boards on the roof even with a short SUV. I suppose it will depend on the height of your mast support, but I could have done it with no problem.

2. Yes, they fit fine on the Wave, as follows. I used a foam rack, with the foam on the crossbars, and the straps looped around the crossbars. They fitted to the side of the traveler cleat and there was about 1" of clearance between the boards and mast. My 11'6" fitted very well. My wife's 10' board was really too short but I figured it out eventually and had them both on the same side - one on top the other. It would be great for longer boards, if I am ever lucky enough to get one.

I'm sure there are other solutions too.

Andy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good to hear it all worked out.