Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a getaway and have been looking for a guide on the basics of sailing it beyond the basics. Things like mast rake angle effects, clew plate hole position, down-haul tension, shroud tension ETC. I've always just done these thing without any real care but would like to change that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am a new getaway owner as well. This forum is a great place to start. I can't tell you how many hours I have spent reading here in the evening, going all the way back to 03 on the getaway not to mention all the non getaway threads. As I google specific things the search so often brings me back here. Good Luck, Steve C.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some books you might consider:

Catamaran Sailing from Start to Finish
Catamaran Racing for the 90's
Welcome to A Fleet

sm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Has anyone digitized "Welcome to A Fleet". I seem to remember old spiral bound books but haven't seen a digital copy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

srm wrote:
Some books you might consider:

Catamaran Sailing from Start to Finish
Catamaran Racing for the 90's
Welcome to A Fleet

sm

Was kind of hoping for the internet age to prevent the buying and reading of those paper things. :wink:

But really, I'm not looking for something so in depth as a book, just the basics of the not basics. Part of the problem is when I look at specific things, I often find conflicting information or information that doesn't really apply to the getaway.

Example, people talking about mast rake and stays, will just give hole numbers for their particular model, let alone their boat (I'm sure different ones are stretched differently) etc.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

As a new sailor looking for the same info this year I found the (gasp) paper book Catamaran sailing start to finish to have all your questions answered in an easy to read relatively short book. Wish there was a digital version but there’s not. Can find them used on Amazon for less than $10, and actually having a paper book to just go back and reference is quite handy. I scoured youtube and forums, which helped but that book gave me the most insight about tuning your boat with simple diagrams and descriptions to learn the the basics beyond the basics.

It’s a general catamaran book with example on different model boats, and while it was published before the getaway existed I feel the info would be just as relevant for you.
Go old school! (;

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well there really isn't a whole lot of tuning you can do on a Getaway to begin with (and it sounds like your questions mostly revolve around tuning).

Mast rake, set it up so the helm is balanced or with a slight weather helm. Rake farther back to increase weather helm and rake farther forward to decrease weather helm.

Rig tension, I would just put it snug so the mast doesn't bang around.

Clew hole position, move the blocks aft to put more draft in the sail (light wind) and move the blocks forward to flatten the sail and induce more twist in the top (to depower in high wind).

Downhaul, pull it on to take out the wrinkles. The harder the wind blows, the tighter the mainsheet will be pulled and this will induce wrinkles along the luff of the mainsail, so pull on more downhaul to take out these wrinkles and help flatten the sail when the wind blows hard.

There isn't much more you can mess with on a Getaway.

sm