Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brand new to Hobie
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all.
I just relocated back to the SF bay from NYC and I'm looking to finally own a boat.
I've sailed a bit of the SF bay, but years back & I'm trying to get back into it now.

I have a lead on a 16 and a 17. Both are not in the best shape ever, but not awful.
I've never sailed a cat.

I will be sailing solo mostly & learning in more novice friendly areas first.

I would like to take friends out as well & maybe have my dog on board with me.

So is a Hobie a good idea or should I be looking elsewhere? I've always liked cats & my friend lives on a large one. His boat is super stable, but seems like these might be built more for racing?

The guy who has the 16 and 17 thinks the 17 is better for solo...which seems to be backed up.
The Bay is not the warmest water either, so I thought maybe the 16 would let me stay a little more dry / without a wetsuit.

Any info, points to threads already about this, etc is much appreciated!

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Brand new to Hobie
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Get an 18 and don't solo very often...esp in the SF bay.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm hardly an expert but have a few observations and questions.

I too have read, mostly on this forum, a 17 is a better solo boat. There's quite a few threads about it, and about how finding an affordable, great condition 17 for sale in your area is like finding a unicorn.

From my experience sailing with other people on hobie 18's, in the time it takes me to go from pulling up on shore to driving home (30 minutes max, solo) the 18 sailor(s) are still fiddling to get their boats on a trailer just to put them in lake side storage without even dropping the mast. While I don't know much, it's easy to see an 18 has a lot of running gear compared to a simple 16. How much time do you want to spend getting ready to sail? Without a doubt a bigger cat, with the right crew is more fitting for SF bay, but you have more local options to sail besides just there and how much of a process do you want sailing to be?
Where are you going to store your boat?

Do you want to only be able to sail when you have a crew? Are your "friends" or potential "crew" dedicated sailors? It's not warm most of the time around SF, do your friends really want to be on a small Cat, where you all will certainly get wet and need a wetsuit all the time?
In other words, how much an emphasis of being able to take more than one "guest" should you put on a boat?
No dogs on small catamarans on SF bay, sorry it's not allowed unless your dog is a gold metal surf dog. :wink:
How dedicated are you to sailing a Cat in NorCal? You said you've sailed the area before, I'm sure you know then that if you want to sail a Hobie of any size on SF bay then it's not like what your buddy who lived on a Cat is, unless he was camping in a small tent on the trampoline.

I'm not trying to dissuade you by any means, I dove back into sailing just this spring after many years.
Between me and you, hell yes, get a hobie 16, start out in less dangerous waters, get good gear to wear and live a Hobie life! Talk a friend into going out with you every now and then. Anything but a boat I can rig and in often cases upright solo in a short time is not for me. Only you know what you want.

If the questions asked bring you back to a Hobie 16, check out this one, the owner is kind of a dick, but it's a nice boat.

https://bakersfield.craigslist.org/boa/ ... 12696.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Roadie.

I'm obviously not an idiot...wont be going into the SF bay in a 16 as soon as I get it. I would sail lakes first, and work my way up to Alameda or other protected parts of the bay.

I hadnt planned to keep it in the water, but I may keep it rigged.

I want to be able to sail solo but have people with me.

Id like to entertain & also sail when I want on the weekends. Ideally something fun that I can solo, but can take others out on too.

I'm also curious about why a 17 is easier to solo over a 16

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The 17 is a better boat for solo sailing because it was designed to be a one-person boat. That being said, once you put more than about 300 - 350 Lbs on a 17, it turns into a bit of a pig. So it is far from the ideal platform if you want to sail with two adults.

Sounds to me like a Getaway would be a good boat for your needs. A good starter beach cat that is simple enough to rig and sail solo but also has the capacity and horsepower to bring along some friends when you want.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've owned 2 Hobie 17s, one purchased new, the other used.
Great boat for solo or 2 medium sized people. 3 or more people, not so much. Especially in the chop you'll get in the Bay. The 17s tend to leak at the wing tubes and the centerboard trunks. The used one I bought leaked a bunch, (10 gallons or more in a few hour sail) and I had a heck of a time finding the crack and sealing it. The 17 is kind of rare, although I think there are one or two that SEEM good for sale on the forum right now.
The 17 has low volume hulls, that's why its capacity is so low. It's great for high winds; better than the 16 in my experience.

(I know this is a Hobie forum, but (forgive me, Matt), there are other catamarans around too. The NACRAs are pretty sweet.)

So, there is no one boat that does it all. Your goal is the same as mine was, a boat I could solo, and carry people on too. My Getaway is the best boat for that, I have found. I can easily solo it, and it'll carry a bunch of people. But it's not as fast as the fiberglass catamarans. I'm not sure I could right a capsized 18, 20, or 21 by myself. The 17 is great for 1 or 2, the 16 can easily be soloed and will carry 3 or 4 a little better than the 17, and is ubiquitous.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Go for an H18 and don't sail in the SF Bay without a wet suit!!!
With some experience you can sail a H18 solo I have sailed and competed a number of times in lakes and in salt water. I don't recommend sailing alone, join a local fleet, there is safety in numbers and its more fun. Hobie Fleet 2 has H16, H17, H18 and a H21 membership. I can also put you in contact with the other Northern California fleets.

Fleet 281 Sharkfeed regatta is this coming weekend at Doran Beach (Bodega Bay) if you would like to meet some local area Hobie enthusiasts.

Contact me if you would like contact info I live in Napa County.