Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need Advice - Hobie Noob
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I live on a small lake in Minnesota. I've done a little bit of sailing on Sunfish and similar as well as a few times on Cats at resorts on the Gulf. These were are all set up and rigged and they just let us go with virtually no instruction. These were probably smaller models and very easy to navigate so I thought it would be fun to buy one. I picked up a 1983 16'. I am not sure I made a good choice.

My lake is small. This boat seems large on a trailer in my driveway. The rigging, cables, ropes, etc. for one of these cats is a bit intimidating. I had no idea there was so much to them. The boat is in pretty good condition - a little dock rash, but does look like the tramp could use replacing (along with the associated rope/rigging). I am sure there is a few hardware pieces that may need to be fixed/replaced but the guy I purchased it from seems like a good guy and was pretty sure that everything was there.

So, here are my questions:

What is a good price for this boat assuming the tramp and probably some of related rope/rigging needs to be replaced (cables seem complete and in good shape).

How difficult is it going to be to learn to rig and sail this thing? Any good You Tube channels related to rigging, sailing, etc? I don't want to spend a month in classes, but would gladly spend a day out on the water with my boat and an experienced sailor helping me figure it all out.

My lake is a mile across, is this overkill? I just want something to zip around on once in a while for a fun activity.

If I decide to keep it, suggestions on where I could go to get components like a new tramp for a fair price. I don't want to invest a ton in this. [/list]

I do have access to all kinds of great lakes for sailing, so if I kept it, I know I could probably take it to these for some big water fun (Minnetonka, Pepin, Mille Lacs, St. Croix, etc.)

All input would be very appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

They are not to complicated to figure out and are easy to sail. Spend a lot of time reading on this site, massive amount of info, check the facts section also! You can always take off the trap lines to have less to deal with during set up. I got a new tramp for my 83 for only $125, couldn't justify spending more for a boat I paid $850 for. Plenty of videos on YouTube on set up. What area of Minnesota are you in? There is active fleets in the cities and lake pepin, Fleet 444 I believe. Also there is active Hobie sailors in Clear lake Iowa just south of Albert Lee. Fleet 291 in Yankton SD is also active. Finding a group is by far the best way to get an introduction and learn some tips. Most sailors are more than happy to answer questions and take you for a sail. As for price that is hard to say with out seeing it. I would say $800 - $1500 probably the range with everything in usable condition and no soft spots on the hulls. I Sold my 83 for $2000 after upgrading mainsheet blocks, tramp, new shrouds etc. You will feel more comfortable with the boat after spending some time on the water with an experienced skipper and see what the boat can do, and its limits. Also learn to right the boat, once you can handle a capsize and have no fear of it, the boat becomes a lot more fun! Its a fun boat that you can push to its limits and your limits, or you can depower easily and have calm sail.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Price
You can normally pick up an old 1970s Hobie 16 for between 500 and 1000, well worth the money. If it is a solid boat you could expect to pay as much as 2 grand for a early 80s boat in good condition.

Condition
Your mostly looking for soft spots in the tops and sides of the hulls. Press firmly, stand even, on the hulls in any place and they should not give. Next inspect the sail, not much to look for, just no tears. Finally replace the the standing rigging. You basically need to replace the two shroud wires, the for stay and the bridal. It will cost around $150. The failure points in rigging are not easy to spot better safe then sorry.

Lake Size
1 mile across is not to small. Lots of fun to be had there.

Set Up
It takes about 30 min to go from trailer to water for a Hobie 16. With practice you can trim that down to 20.

Sailing
No need for lessons IMO. Youtube, Hobie Forums, thebeachcats.com, read up and have a go. The H16 pitch poles easier than some cats, so keep the weight back and don't cleat the main sheet in the beginning. When the wind picks up dump the sail. If you go over consider it an adventure. Minnesota... consider a wet suit.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Hobie 16 is not too difficult to set up. I suggest watching Matt Miller's rigging video that can be found on you tube or on this forum. It's an older video but has lots and lots of useful information. Practice setting up your boat in your backyard a few times if you can, this will help you to gain confidence in yourself and the boat.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Appreciate all of the advice here. Any advice on where to get new tramp and wires/ropes? The boat does look like it's been outside for a few seasons and could probably use a freshening up.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Any Hobie (sailing) dealer can get you all the replacement parts you need.

Murrays.com is also an excellent source for parts. They have been in the business for several decades and know their stuff.

If you have a local fleet, reach out to them for rigging and sailing advice. If they are active, they should be able to provide a wealth of (free) information to get you up to speed quickly.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Google is useful

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Tempo store in White Bear Lake, MAN will be your primary source of supplies and parts. Plus they helped me with boat inspection when I bought one. Over word of caution about H16, they can be difficult to upright if you capsized the boat. Look for videos on how to upright your Cat. Also, look up Fleet 444 Cat club in Minnesota, very nice group of people that sail together on the weekends. Sailing H16 is a lot of fun, but be patient and have respect for the nature. Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You made a great choice. The H-16 is a terrific all around cat. I've owned a couple of Hobie 17s, a few different mono-hulls and currently sail a Hobie Getaway. The 16 is just a fun boat!
I agree with replacing the shrouds. I bought a used H-17 that supposedly had recently replaced shrouds...one of the side shrouds broke the first season I sailed it, down came the mast!
Get good at righting your boat. The 16 capsizes relatively easily. Uncleat the mainsheet and jib sheet, swim the bows into the wind or a little beyond, and when you pull it upright with the righting line, hang onto it so the boat doesn't take off.
Enjoy your boat! "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing — absolutely nothing — half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Wind in the Willows.

Oh, as far as parts. You can find lots of Hobie parts on eBay, but the prices for new Hobie brand parts will be about the same as at a dealer. There are good used parts to be found there too, though.

Too many canoes and kayaks