Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Racing and friends is your biggest conflict. Nothing IMO, will do both well.

My H16 will 2 hand over 400# with a good amount of freeboard remaining but I wouldn’t add gear to that and take it in the ocean.

The Wave will comfortably carry 4 good size adults with room to spare, is fun to sail when winds make taking other sailboats out prohibitive, but suffers during low-wind conditions due to an undersized sail.

The Getaway can be a lot of fun single handed in moderate wind, and is a workhorse that probably cannot be overloaded. This may be your best bet. Unless...

One boat I’m not familiar with, yet have been intrigued by is the T2. Rotomolded plastic should make it more buoyant and forgiving, specs very close to a Getaway but the look to me says faster, with less trampoline. Possibly the best racer/ weekend camper if you can get your hands on one, though this would need to be confirmed by someone actually familiar with it. I believe they’re recently discontinued in the US and you rarely find used ones for sale.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have sailed the T2 a few times. One of the guys in the club has one. It is indeed faster than the Getaway, owing mostly to a more modern sail plan. No wings, but if I the priority is racing it would be my choice over the Getaway. Provided, of course, you can find some sort of handicap number for it. I doubt you'd be racing in any one-design T2 class.

Hobie Trifoiler
Hobie H16
Hobie Fox 20
Hobie Tandem Island
Hobie Adventure Island
Windrider 17
Astus 16.5
Weta Tri

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

How about a plus sized cat? If you have a place to store the boat mast up, the 21SC and 21SE can be a great option. The 21SE is a faster boat that takes the waves better, while the SC launches from a trailer faster and has a cooler.

I have a 21SC and it is a very easy boat to sail solo. With the shroud extenders you should be able to right the boat solo.

The 21SC is not much faster than a H16, but it can carry a ton of weight (literally, in calm seas....)
The 21SC has a easily reefed main, and it is easy to slap a small outboard on the back.

The 21SE has the same hull shape, but a different set of crossbars, and a much taller mast. The sails on the SE are more race oriented and therefore a little harder to raise and lower. Without much modification, any hobie main sail can be reefed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Unfortunately leaving any craft rigged is not an option. At this point my main priority is family sailing.

The T2 is here and as far as I know its still current.

I wish we had massive clubs like overseas, but we don’t so space is non existent. Thanks for the replies, its tough not knowing anyone with one here. Narca’s seem to be very popular here, speed is the name of the game with kiwi’s. Any boat on the water has to be raced. Two boats in the harbour will turn into a mini Americas Cup, all on!

But thats not me, so I’m a bit of an odd ball. Ive never seen any of these rotomolded craft around or up for sale second hand.

Kiwis are very behind with this sort of craft. Open Bic, RS Feva and the likes are only now just starting to take hold, with old established clubs reluctant to change from the old Opti’s, Mistrals,......