Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HOBIE CAT ocean sailing
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Serious question for you hobie guys. What design hobie cat would you recommend for a circumnavigation of a large island, say Tasmania, with long open ocean passages. "around 100 nautical miles per day"? Which boat would you recommend and why?
Thanks from downunder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How many people? In my mind the 21 would be a good choice, the bigger the better on the open ocean, I did a little sailing with a 16 on the ocean with a 5 ft. swell, it was a gas but it would get pretty tiring after many hours I think. There was a couple of guys a while ago that crossed the ocean a while ago. There experience is pretty harrowing if you read it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think that it all depends on how many days you plan to be away. The 16 would be great if it is just a day or two but if you are talking a week. Look for something bigger.

I think the 18 is the boat that the guys crossed the Atlantic on. It seems like the boat to do this stuff on.

Post subject: Ocean Sailing
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Many years ago, Brian Joder (of Hobie Hawk fame,) went south around Cabo San Lucas, then north into the Sea of Cortez. A fascinating adventure on a Hobie 18.

Recently, some guy from either Chile or Brazil has been sailing around South America, and lasI heard, he has headed off to do North America. I think he started with a H18, then got moulds, and built his own Carbon Fibre version of an H18.

Then there were the folks who did the fabled North West passage, over two summers, using a H18. Even though the design is old, the H18 is tough as nails and can handle the longer passages. Try Googling for stories on some of this stuff.

I agree that the H16 is too light, so based on what others have done, try a H18, and have a support team handy.

To do 100 miles a day, you have to sail a certain number of hours. My guess is that you must be at Olympic standard to have that level of fitness. The Worrell 1000 folks (who are mostly professional sailors), were averaging 80 miles a day. You may have to rethink your target. A little bit of safety never gets in the way of fun!

cheers