Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

First time posting to the Hobie forum and I have somewhat of an odd request. Prior to purchasing my first Hobie Cat I would like to test one out. There are no reasonable rental locations to do so in my area. I am located in the Wilmington Island/Tybee Island area of Georgia, and I am in search of someone who would like to take me out for a sail on one of their Hobie Cats. I would like to discuss compensation with whomever is interested. I am requesting this because I am not ready to commit the cash of buying without knowing if sailing a Hobie is for me. Thank you for your considerations!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Google found this, in case it helps... http://www.stsimonskayaking.com/sailing.html

I had the same issue (I'm in PA) and ended up driving quite a way to find a place that gave lessons.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

leecea wrote:
Google found this, in case it helps... http://www.stsimonskayaking.com/sailing.html

This helps a lot thank you very much! I did a couple of Hobie rental searches and nothing popped up but this one is only about an hour or two away from me!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You are smart to try before you buy. Even smarter to get someone with experience to help you evaluate a potential purchase. Contact the Division 9 folks in GA, SC, etc., and see if they can't hook you up with someone. Most catsailors are eager to help where feasible.

http://hcana.hobieclass.com/hobie-fleets/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jerome,

Thanks for the link! I will look into that as well. I recently had someone reach out to me and let me know that they sail Hobies with a couple of other guys. He told me that he'd let me know the next time they went out. It would be cool to get into some kind of a club as well if I end up choosing to purchase a catamaran.